Olympus Stylus TG-850 Review
Review posted 07/28/2014
- Dedicated Video Capture Button is always ready to record
- "Tough" features: Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof and Freezeproof protect the camera
- Lens-Shift I.S. helps steady the camera while on the move
- Nice, Bright 3.0-inch Tilting LCD allows you to use the camera at just about any angle. Great for Selfies.
- Good shooting performance
- Good Battery Life
- HDMI output
- Competitively priced
- Overall image quality is lacking. Very blotchy at all ISO settings, even in bright light.
- Screen can be hard to see underwater.
- Missing GPS and WiFi, which are commonly found on "Tough or Lifeproof" cameras.
- Small flash does not cover much distance.
|The Olympus Stylus TG-850 is a compact and versatile "Tough" digicam. It
has been built to go anywhere that you can go. It is easy to use and
performs very well, but it lacks in image quality. Read more in our Full Conclusion. |
One of Olympus' latest tough-series cameras, the Stylus TG-850's specifications are on par with last years' models: Waterproof down to 33 feet (10m), Shockproof from seven feet (2.1m), Crushproof up to 220 pounds (100kgf), Freezeproof down to 14° F (-10°C) , Dustproof, 16-megapixel back-lit CMOS image sensor, True-Pic VII image processor, 5x optical zoom lens, FAST AF (AutoFocus) and Full 1080p HD Video recording. However, the TG-850 is among the first "lifeproof" style cameras to include a 3.0-inch 180° flip screen LCD (460K dot). This flip screen is a great feature for composing selfies and self-group shoots above and under water. And, you can now frame photos while staying dry by setting the screen to 90°, and dipping the camera under the surface.
Another nice feature is the Interval Shooting, which will take up to 99 shots at intervals ranging from 10 seconds to 60 minutes -- Olympus seems to really want to compete with GoPro. If fast-motion time-lapse photography isn't your style, the TG-850 can record 120 frames-per-second (fps) and 240 fps super slow motion at less-than-HD resolutions. In any of these scenarios, Multi-Motion Movie image stabilization, which compensates for motion blur, will come in handy.
Lastly, the TG-850 does not, itself, include built-in Wi-Fi, but the camera is compatible with the (optional) Toshiba FlashAir SDHC memory card, which allows users to connect the TG-850 to a smartphone or tablet device running a free app. From there, it's easy to back up, email, or share your photos and videos via social networking sites.
Olympus TG-850 Features:
- Waterproof down to 33 feet (10m)
- Shockproof from seven feet (2.1m)
- Crushproof up to 220 pounds (100kgf)
- Freezeproof down to 14° F (-10°C)
- 16-megapixel back-lit CMOS image sensor
- True-Pic VII image processor
- 5x optical zoom lens
- 21-105mm (35mm equivalent)
- 3.0-inch 180° Flip LCD (460K dot)
- Full 1080p HD Video Recording at 60 frames-per-second (fps)
- HS120fps at 640x480
- HS240fps at 320x240
- Multi-Motion Movie Image Stabilization
- FAST AF (AutoFocus)
- 7.1 fps Sequential Shooting
- 11 Art Filters
- Interval Shooting
- Up to 99 Frames
- Intervals from 10 seconds to 60 minutes
- Compatible with the Toshiba FlashAir SDHC Card
Available in silver, black, or white, the Olympus STYLUS TG-850 has a $249.99 MSRP. See our best prices box at the top right of this page to see the most current online pricing. What's in the box?:
- TG-850 Digital Camera
- Waterproof Instructions
- Premium Wrist Strap
- LI-50B Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- USB Cable & AC Adapter
- Quick Start Guide CD-ROM with Instruction Manual and Olympus Viewer 3 Software
- Worldwide Warranty Card
Additional Product Views
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.