Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-Tracker Preview
The TG-Tracker boasts improved lifeproof specs when compared to current TOUGH cameras, like the TG-870 we recently reviewed, being waterproof down to 30 meters (98 feet), freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C), crushproof to 220 pounds, shockproof from up to a 7 foot fall, and dustproof. All of these combine to create a camera that you can truly take anywhere on an adventure.
Olympus has included various new features to help enhance the TG-Trackers' underwater abilities. For starters, they've added a built-in "headlight", which offers up to 60 lumens of illumination for up to 60 seconds, or 20 lumens for an extended period of up to 30 minutes. Next they've installed an "Underwater Detector", which senses when the camera is taken underwater, and automatically changes the white balance to the underwater settings, as well as adjusts other settings for capturing photos beneath the surface. Lastly, they've added some new exposure control algorithms for better underwater photo quality.
Another very interesting set of features on the TG-Tracker are its Field Sensors. This system is comprised of seven sensors that help the camera track your adventure:
- a GPS sensor
- a compass
- a Barometer
- a Thermometer
- an Accelerometer
- a Manometer (depth sensor)
- an Underwater Detector sensor
The camera captures loads of data from each sensor, and you can even put the camera into "Log mode", which powers down everything on the camera save these sensors. While you are on your journey, you can quickly power up the LCD screen to view a HUD (heads up display) that shows the output of each sensor; all the while saving power so you have plenty left to shoot high-resolution stills or 4K UHD video at your destination.
Speaking of power, Olympus has also upgraded the battery on this new model with a larger, 1350mAh pack, which will help ensure you have plenty of power for your trip.
Some of the other appealing features of the new TG-Tracker include an ultra-wide angle lens that covers 204 degrees, TruePic 7 processor, 5-axis Image Stabilization, Built-in Wi-Fi, compatible with Olympus' new OI.Track 2.0 smart app (free), and various included accessories, including the new Steady Grip.
Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-Tracker features:
- Waterproof to 98 feet (30 m)
- Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C)
- Shockproof from 7 feet (2.1 m)
- Crushproof to 220 pounds
- 8-megapixel backlit CMOS image sensor
- TruePic VII image processor
- Field Sensor System: GPS, Compass, Temp., Barometer, and Accelerometer sensors
- 1.5" tilting LCD display with 115k dots
- 13.9mm equivalent fix lens covers and ultra-wide 204 degree field of view in wide more
- 156 degree view in Narrow mode, 94 degree FOV in Underwater mode
- 5-axis Image Stabilization
- Next-generation GPS uses both GLONASS and QZSS GPS satellites
- OI.Track2.0 App
- transfer Field sensor logs and pictures to your smartphone or tablet
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Olympus Image Share App
- Works with iOS or Android smartphones or tables
- transfer images and movies
- live view
- remotely control the camera
- Full UHD 4K Video Recording
- 1080p @ 60/30p
- 720p @ 240/120/60/30p
- 480p @ 240/120/60/30p
- Underwater Detector automatically senses when the camera is underwater and changes settings for underwater use
- Built-in LED headlight (up to 60 lumes)
- Log mode tracks data from the cameras five Field Sensors, all the while reducing power consumption
- Included Steady Grip shooting grip allows you so shoot one handed with ease
The TG-Tracker will be available in all back or black and green, with a suggested retail price of $349. It should hit dealer shelves in June or 2016.
Additional Product Photos
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.