Pressing the Playback button on the back of the camera takes you into the camera's playback mode. Here you can view the images that you have captured and stored on the camera's SD card. Pressing the DISP. button allows you to change the amount of information that is shown on the LCD screen, from nothing to a full list with histogram to a closeup for checking focus.
Once you are in Playback mode, you can press the zoom control to the wide end to enter the camera's index mode. This mode allows you to view several thumbnails at a time, allowing you to quickly search and find the image that you are looking for.
Pressing the zoom control the other way (tele) when you are on a single image allows you to zoom in on that image. Once you have zoomed in, you can use the 4-way controller to scroll around the image to inspect for focus, etc. Thanks to the G1X's nice 3.0-inch screen, you have plenty of detail to see an accurate representation of the image.
Next to the delete button, you will find the jump button (in playback mode only). The jump menu gives you other options for quickly finding images. You can jump by: Favorites, Shot Date, My Category, Still/Movie, Jump by 10 images, Jump by 100 images.
Here you can see the Print menu, which is used when connecting the camera to a PictBridge compatible printer. This allows yo to choose images or a range of images to print when the camera is connected directly to a printer.
- Movie Digest Playback - Playback a movie made in the movie digest mode
- Smart Shuffle - Start a shuffled playback effect
- Slide Show - Plays a slide show of all of the images on the camera
- Erase - Allows you to erase one or all of the images on the memory card
- Protect - Allows you to protect images from being deleted
- Rotate - Rotates the image 90° at a time
- Favorites - Select favorite images from files stored on the memory card
- My Category - Allows you to view your pictures by category or allows you to label pictures with categories
- i-Contrast - Brighten the background of images
- Red-Eye Correction - Removes Red-Eye from your images
- Trimming - Allows you to crop your images inside the camera
- Resize - Save the current image at a smaller resolution
- My Colors - Change the color scheme of the photo
- Scroll Display - On or Off
- Group Images - On or Off
- Auto Rotate - On or Off
- Resume - Last Seen or Last Shot
- Transition - Choose a transition for viewing your photographs
Trimming allows you to "crop" an image while it is still on the camera. You can zoom in on the image and scroll around until you get what you want. Then you are given the option to save it as a new image.
i-Contrast allows the camera to automatically adjust the contrast of the image. You can choose between the auto, high or low settings to control the effect.
Resize allows you to make a smaller copy of any image that is saved on you SD card. This is fast and easy way to make smaller copies for email or posting to the web without having to load and edit them on a computer.
The rotate feature gives you the option to change the orientation of an image by 90°.