New SmugMug app for Android devices.Yesterday, SmugMug announced that they've acquired the popular SmugFolio Android app, and renamed it SmugMug for Android. This app allows smart phone and tablet users to manage, browse, and upload their photos with ease.
While on the surface this looks like a simple rebrand with a new name and app icon, SmugMug notes that they've joined forces with the original SmugFolio developer to add a few improvements. These include the ability to browse other SmugMug user's accounts and added security with OAuth login. The company notes that the new app requires Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), and that those using 2.x or earlier will need to download the older SmugFolio app.
For those who are not familiar with SmugMug or SmugFolio, here's a break down of the app's features:
- Upload unlimited photos and videos into unlimited gorgeous galleries.
- Quick and easy access to your photos - even when you're offline.
- Upload photos and videos on-the-go, or automatically upload as you shoot.
- Browse and search through galleries on SmugMug (ideal for friends, fans and family)
- Full screen slideshows across all galleries or within a single gallery
- Browse photos from favorite users without needing a SmugMug account
- Multi select to move, collect, delete, and share multiple photos at a time
- Auto download galleries when you're on wifi
- Auto upload photos and videos from any location to any album
- Bulk upload multiple photos and videos at a time
- Upload with GPS location
- Display photo geolocation on Google map
- View detailed photo information
- View comments on photos and albums
- Delete photos and galleries
- Filter photos by keywords
- Assign photo ratings and filter by photo rating
- Create new galleries, edit gallery title and public setting
- Set photos as wallpaper
- Play videos
- Share URLs or photos with other Android applications
- Automatic short URL generation using SmugMug
- View photo or gallery on SmugMug
- Export photos and galleries to local device gallery
- Choice of browsing by category or by gallery
- Change download location to external SD card (or any folder you choose)
- Read only mode can prevent destructive actions like delete