Choosing the Right Steadicam Equipment
You will need to know the weight of your camera so that you can choose the right Steadicam equipment. Steadicam models are available that can hold cameras that weigh half of a pound all the way through 48 pounds. This guideline will go over the proper way to determine the overall weight of your camera.
1. Removing Batteries
To get an accurate weight of your camera, you will need to remove all batteries from your camera. All Steadicam models have batteries built-in that will power your camera.
2. Weighing Your Camera
If you intend on using any camera accessories, they will need to be weighed, as well. To weigh your camera and camera accessories, simply place them on a pound scale.
3. Choosing a Steadicam Model
Now that you know how much your camera and camera accessories weigh, you are ready to choose a Steadicam model. Below is a list of the weight capacity of all available Steadicam models. If several Steadicam models are capable of holding the weight of your camera and camera accessories, it is up to you which model you select.
- Steadicam Merlin - 0.5 to 5.0 pounds
- Steadicam Merlin Arm and Vest - 0.5 to 7.5 pounds
- Steadicam Pilot - 2.0 to 10.0 pounds
- Steadicam Zephyr - 5.0 to 20.0 pounds
- Steadicam Flyer-LE Series - 5.0 to 20.0 pounds
- Steadicam Archer 2 - 10.0 to 26.0 pounds
- Steadicam Archer 2 SE and Archer 2S - 10.0 to 30.0 pounds
- Steadicam Clipper 324 - 10.0 to 35.0 pounds
- Steadicam Phantom - 20.0 to 48.0 pounds
- Steadicam Ultra 2 - 20.0 to 48.0 pounds
- Steadicam Ultra 2C - 20.0 to 48.0 pounds