HD Camcorder Pro Buying Guide
The HD camcorder pro buying guide will go over the minimum technical specifications that you should look for when purchasing a camcorder for professional use. A good camcorder should come with, or at least be compatible with, interchangeable lenses. You should always remember to pay attention to the recording formats as well. A good camcorder will always offer a high definition mode.
Minimum Technical Specifications
- Video format: The video format of the camcorder should be 720p, 1080i, or 1080p in high definition.
- Lens type: The lens should have an optical zoom of at least 10x. You will also want to make sure that the lens is equipped with an electronic or optical image stabilization feature.
- Viewfinder and LCD: The viewfinder should be a color viewfinder and the LCD display should be at least 2.5 inches.
- Exposure controls: The camcorder should have automatic exposure controls and shifts. It would also be nice if the camcorder had programmed scene modes and a backlight mode.
- Focus controls: The camcorder should be equipped with automatic and manual focus rings that are located on the lens itself. There should also be an automatic override button.
- Media: You want to be able to quickly look at your film, so the camcorder should be recording onto a MiniDV tape, external hard drive, or P2 card.