Click on the W1 for a 360° QTVR tour
The Cyber-shot DSC-W1 is an affordable yet high-performance 5-megapixel digital camera that offers a Carl Zeiss 3x optical zoom lens, large 2.5-inch color LCD, automatic simplicity and advanced features that you can "grow into" later, housed in a very compact, stylish and durable metal body about the size of a deck of playing cards.
The Cyber-shot W1 is the perfect camera for photographers desiring to step-up to a higher resolution and faster performing camera or for those who are just beginning to explore the wonders of imaging in the 21st century. Sony's new Real Imaging Processor was specifically designed for fast camera response time and extended battery life. The Cyber-shot W1 is powered by two AA type cells with an average life of up to 340 shots when using high-capacity NiMH rechargeable. A set of these batteries and a compact AC charger are included with the camera outfit for a suggested price of only $400.
The Cyber-shot W1 also comes in black
Capable of capturing full-resolution images in a little over one second intervals, you'll never have to worry about missing any of the action. Burst mode lets you capture four Fine quality shots at 1.7fps or up to seven if using Standard quality. An even better way to capture the action is to use the W1's motion video recording mode. The VX Fine mode records full VGA (640x480) resolution with audio at 30 frames per second when using Memory Stick Pro media. The VX Standard mode records 640x480 video at 16fps on regular Memory Stick media. The length of video capture in either mode is limited only by the amount of available space on the memory card.
Beginners or anyone can capture a picture quickly using the Auto or Program AE exposure modes. For those wanting complete control over the photographic process, the Manual exposure mode has shutter speeds from 30 to 1/1,000 seconds. And the six pre-programmed Scene modes set the camera to capture optimum images in difficult lighting situations. Other advanced features include five-area auto focus, multi-pattern metering, auto fill flash, live histogram, USB 2.0 speed and connectivity and the ability to use high-quality auxiliary wide angle and telephoto lenses.
DSC-W1 Major Features:
- Sony 5.1 Megapixel effective CCD image sensor
- Carl Zeiss 3x Zoom (38-114mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
- Still Image: 2592x1944, 2592(3:2), 2048x1536, 1280x960, 640x480
- MPEG Movie: 640x480 VX Fine w/audio at 30fps (Memory Stick Pro required),
640x480 VX at 16fps, length limited only by media
- Auto, Program AE, Full Manual plus 6 Scene modes
- 4-shot Burst (7 at standard quality) at 1.7fps
- Live histogram display in capture and playback
- 5 Area Multi-point AF; auto or selectable Spot AF point
- 2.5" TFT color (123,000 pixels) LCD Screen with Auto Brightness
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100, 200, 400
- Adjustable color saturation, contrast and sharpness
- Noise Reduction: Automatically cleans up long exposure images
- 14bit A/D Conversion - allows a wider dynamic range from highlight to shadow
- Built-in flash with Auto Fill, Red Eye Reduction and Slow Synchro
- USB 2.0 Auto-Connect to host computer
- Rechargeable 2100mAh NiMH batteries and charger included
- Memory Stick & Memory Stick Pro compatible to 1GB, 32MB included.
- DPOF and PictBridge direct-print USB compatible
The Sony Cyber-shot W1 will be available in May 2004 for about $400