Sony ActionCam HDR-AS15/AS10 Preview
The new ActionCam models sport a 16-megapixel Exmor R CMOS image sensor, Carl Zeiss Tessar 170 degree fixed lens, built-in image stabilization, as well as high-speed video options. All of this is packed into a tiny shell that measures 52mmx67mmx22mm, and benefits from various cases and mounts to offer almost unmatched versatility in mounting options. Not only does Sony include a waterproof housing for the ActionCams, but they have also developed a "HandyCam" type grip/case that includes a built in, swiveling 2.7-inch LCD screen - only $99,99 USD.
The included underwater housing can be submerged up to 60 meters (197ft), and also boasts a standard tripod socket on the bottom for endless mounting options. They also offer a replacement door pack ($49.99 USD) which includes three new doors for the housing; a flat lens door for divers, an open door for enhanced audio, and a replacement curve lens door for standard use. And, if you somehow destroy or lose your underwater housing, you can get a new one for only $39.99 USD. Lastly, on top of various muting options, including a head strap, bike mount, suction cup and adhesive mount;, Sony is going to offer an Angle adjustment mount ($19.99 USD) that gives you 0-105 degrees of adjustment and two tripod screws.
Like we mentioned earlier, the HDR-AS15 boasts built-in Wi-Fi, which also gives it access to Sony's new PlayMemories Camera and Mobile Apps - including their Smart Control App for remote controlling the AS15. Stay tuned as we await an eval unit to arrive.
Sony ActionCam HDR-AS15/AS10 Features:
- 16-megapixel Exmor R CMOS image sensor
- Carl Zeiss Tessar fixe lens with 170 degree field of view
- SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- 1080p/720p/480p video recording at 30p
- High-speed 720p HD video at 60 or 120fps
- Built-in Wi-Fi - HDR-AS15 only
- Access to Sony PlayMemories Camera and Mobile Apps, including remote control via Smart Remote Control - HDR-AS15 only
- Includes underwater housing with built-in tripod socket
- Li-ion battery
- Card slot accepts Memory Stock Micro or micro SD/SDHC type cards
- HDMI output
- Tons of optional accessories, including mounts, grips, etc.
Both the HDR-AS15 and HDR-AS10 will start shipping next month (September, 2012), and the kits include the underwater/protective housing, a Li-ion battery pack, and two adhesive mounts. The AS10 comes in at $199.99 USD, while the Wi-Fi enabled AS15 comes in at just $269.99. Some of the accessories (Replacement door pack, Desiccant sheets, and "HandyCam grip/case") will not start shipping until sometime between October and December, 2012.
Additional Product Views