Click to take a 360-degree QTVR tour of the SL310W
Samsung's SL310W is highlighted by features commonly found on more expensive digital cameras. These include an impressive 13.6 megapixel image sensor, Dual Image Stabilization, and a 3.6x wide-angle optical zoom lens which significantly improves the user's ability to photograph more of a desired scene.
Dual Image Stabilization combines both Samsung's advanced Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) and Digital Image Stabilization (DIS) systems. This is a useful feature that helps reduce the blur found in images as a result of vibrations, hand shake or other unexpected movements at the moment of image capture. When selected, OIS and DIS work simultaneously to reduce the effects of unwanted movement and help shooters capture crisp, clear images. Thanks to the enhanced sensitivity of the SL310W's imaging sensor, which features a maximum ISO of 3200, users can rest assured that they'll be able to capture images in low-light situations, especially when the use of a flash is not desired.
The SL310W offers a number of user-friendly features, including 11 scene modes, auto red-eye fix and MPEG-4 video recording. The camera also features Self Portrait, Face Detection, Blink Detection, and Smile Shot technology, all of which help enhance the digital imaging experience for the shooter.
Self Portrait mode is a unique function that takes the guessing out of taking a self portrait. When in Self Portrait mode, SL310W automatically detects the user's face, adjust focus and exposure, and will only allow a photo to be taken if the subject is centered in the frame. Face Detection technology makes taking pictures of family and friends a snap, as it detects up to nine faces and automatically adjusts focus and exposure to ensure better composition and image quality. Furthermore, Smile Shot automatically triggers the SL310W to take a photo only when the camera detects smiles on the subjects' faces, and Blink Detection will prevent a photo from being taken if the camera recognizes that a subject's eyes are closed - a useful feature as it's often difficult to distinguish closed eyes when composing a shot on an LCD screen.
The SL310W is also equipped with advanced movie modes. Featuring MPEG-4 video recording and in-camera editing controls, users can pause, and then resume filming of video clips without having to save the clips as individual files. Additionally, users can operate the camera's 28mm wide-angle optical zoom and engage OIS and DIS while recording.
To reduce the intimidation factor of the camera's many elements, the SL310W offers Function Description and a Photo Help Guide. Function Description automatically provides a brief and easy to understand description of each setting when scrolling through the camera's menus, helping the end-user determine which setting is appropriate for their current shooting scenario. The Photo Help Guide is another intuitive component incorporated into the camera, which offers the end-user a guided tour of how to take better images as well as easy-to-follow tips instructing them how to obtain excellent results.
- 13.6-megapixels of resolution for images up to 4224x3168 pixels
- Samasung 3.6x F2.8 optical zoom lens (28-102mm in 35mm equivalent)
- Dual Image Stabilization mode for blur free photos
- Capture MPEG4 video at 800x592 (20fps), 640x480 or 320x240 (15 or 30fps) w/audio and movie stabilization
- Auto, Program, Manual, Dual IS and 12 scene modes
- Function Description and Photo Guide for beginners
- Powerful Effects: Color and Image Adjustment (Sharpness, Saturation, Contrast)
- Continuous or Burst capture mode as well as Auto Exposure Bracketing and Motion Capture shooting
- 2.7-inch color LCD screen with 230K pixels
- Macro focus as close as 2 inches (5cm) from the lens
- Adjustable sensitivity from ISO 80 - 3200
- 30MB of internal memory and removable SD/SDHC/MMC/MMCPlus card storage
- Adjustable ISO, white balance, and metering
- Voice Recording function (up to 10 hours)
- Recycle Bin for even better protection against losing images
- Li-ion rechargeable battery, charged via USB (AC Adapter included)
- USB 2.0 Mass Storage and PictBridge compliant
The SL310W is available in black or sliver with a MSRP of US$229.95. Each camera kit ships with: SL310W camera, Wrist strap, USB cable, A/V cable, USB/AC charger, Li-ion battery, Software CD-ROM, Warranty certificate, and Quick Start manual.