Record Screens & Menus
Like most all digicams, the MV800 has a Smart Auto exposure mode. This is a fully automatic mode where the camera selects all of the settings for you, as well as applies certain scene mode settings as it analyzes the subject(s) being framed. This allows anyone to pick the MV800 up and start capturing pleasing snapshots with little to no photography experience. The only settings that are able to be changed are the flash mode, self-timer, and the photo size (resolution).
Like past Samsung models, the MV800 offers the ability to start recording video no matter what record mode you are using. In Smart Auto mode, a small Movie Rec. button is displayed on the left hand side of the frame, just under the Smart Auto icon. Pressing this will immediately start recording video in Smart Movie mode.
Half pressing the shutter release displays the AF mark(s) being used. When AF is successful the marks will be green and the camera is ready to snap the image. If AF fails to focus they will turn red. The MV800 also displays the Scene setting chosen (noting above), the Aperture (f/5.2 above), along with the flash status (Auto above). When the flash is charged and ready to fire it will turn red; blinking Red indicated that it is charging, and you have to wait until it's full before the camera will snap the photo.
Since there is no external mode dial, changing the shooting mode is accessed on the MV800's touchscreen LCD. Like we saw on the ST700, the MV800 uses an app geared interface, much like that of a modern day smart phone. Above we see the "Home" menu, which is accessed by pressing the Home button on the back of the camera. Here you can choose a variety of options for both Record mode and Playback.
Available options include: Smart Auto, Program, Smart Movie Movie, Scene, 3D Photo, Live Panorama, Self Shot, Picture in Picture, Magic Frame, My Magic Frame, Funny Face, Photo Filter, Movie Filter, Vignetting, Beauty Shot, Background Blur, Night Shot, Close-up Shot, Dual IS, Intelligent Portrait, Auto Zoom Shot, Timer Shot, Touch Shot, Pose Guide, Album, Theme Album, Slide Show, Photo Editor, Storyboard Maker, Wallpapers, Help, and Settings.
To choose a scene mode, you select the Scene app from the Home menu. You get the above virtual mode dial, with options for: Landscape, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Beach & Snow, and text.
For those who want a bit more control, you have the option of using Program mode. In program mode, the camera automatically selects both shutter speed and aperture values. However, in this mode the user has access to more advanced camera settings like ISO, White balance, Metering, Focus Area, etc. You have a few shortcut options to the left, or you can enter the menu (shown below) to access even more settings. You can also customize what shortcut buttons appear on screen with the My Screen option.
Camera Menu settings in Program mode:
- Exposure Compensation - ±2EV in 1/3EV steps
- White Balance - Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent H, Fluorescent L, Tungsten, Custom Set
- ISO - Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Flash - Off, Auto, Red-eye, Fill in, Slow Sync, Red-eye Fix
- Focus - Auto or Macro
- Focus Area - Center
AF, Multi AF, One Touch Shooting, Smart Touch AF
- Face Detection - Off, Normal, Smile Shot, Blink Detection, Smart Face Recognition
- Smart FR Edit - My Star Face List Edit
- Photo Size - 16M,, 14M (3:2), 12M (16:9), 10M, 5M, 3M, 2M (16:9) 1M
- Quality - SuperFine, Fine, Normal
- ACB - On or Off
- Metering - Multi, Spot, Center-weighted
- Timer - Off, 10 seconds, 2 seconds
- Drive - Single, Continuous, Motion Capture, AE Bracketing
- Smart Filter - Off,
Miniature, Vignetting, Soft Focus, Old Film, Half Tone
Dot, Sketch, Fish-eye, Classic, Retro, Oil Painting, Ink Painting, Cartoon, Cross Filter, Zooming Shot
- Image Adjust
- Toggle Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation
- OIS - Optical Image Stabilization; On or Off
- Intelli Zoom - Off or On
- My Screen - Customize the available option on screen in Program mode
Here you can see the app Photo Filters. This is a graphical menu that lets you see what the filter will do to the subject being framed, before you actually capture the image. These are the same options found under Smart Filter in the Program mode menu.
Magic Frame allows you to add a artistic frame to your photos. You can choose Mural, Old Film, Wave, Full Moon, Old Record, Magazine, Newspaper, Sunny Day, Classic TV, Old Album, Holiday, Billboard 1, and Billboard 2.
You can also make your own Magic Frame using the "My Magic Frame" app.
For movies, you have two mode choices; Smart Movie and Movie. Both modes can capture video n 1280x720 HQ, 1280x720, 640x480, or 320x240 with audio, at 30 or 15fps. A recorded video is saved as a H.264 MPEG-4.AVC (.MP4) file, and has a maximum of 20 minutes recording. Just like in Still record mode, Smart Auto will analyze the subject being framed and apply certain Scene settings to the video (Landscape, Sunset, Clear Skies, Forested area). This is done to help you capture more pleasing video in a variety or shooting situations.
Like many of Samsung's models, you have full use of the optical zoom during recording. This adds a great deal to your video recording capabilities, however just be aware that your subject may go in and out of focus a bit while zooming; and it's possible you'll hear the zoom motor in the video when played back.
Movie mode options:
- Movie Size - 1280x720 HQ, 1280x720, 640x480, or 320x240
- Frame Rate - 30 or 15fps
- Voice - Sound Alive On, Sound Alive Off, Mute
- Timer - Off or 10 Sec.
For those of you who want to record more creative video, the MV800 offers an app called Movice Filter. This option allows you to apply some of the same filters found in the Photo Filter app to your movies. The available options include: Miniature, Vignetting, Half Tone Dot, Sketch, Fish-eye, Classic, Retro, and Pallet Effect 1/2/3/4.
Above we can see the "Settings" app from the home screen. This is your typical setup menu, which is broken down in four main categories; Sound, Display, Connectivity, and General. Below you can see a breakdown of the available options for each.
- Volume - Off, Low, Medium, High
- Beep Sound - On or Off
- Shutter Sound - Off, 1, 2, 3
- Start Sound - Off, 1, 2, 3
- AF Sound - On or Off
- Start Image - Off, Logo, User Image
- Grid Line - 2x2, 3x3, Cross (+), Diagonal (X)
- Date & Time Display - On or Off
- Display Brightness - Auto, Dark, Normal, Bright
- Display Resolution - High or Standard
- Quick View - Off, 0.5, 1, 3 seconds
- Power Save - On or Off
- Video Out - NTSC or PAL format
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) - On or Off
- HDMI Size - 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p
- USB mode - Computer, Printer, Select Mode
- PC Software - On or Off
- Language - Choose the language used in menus
- Time Zone - Choose your time zone
- Date/Time Set - Set the date and time of the internal calendar and clock
- Date Type - Choose how date is displayed.
- File No. - Series or Reset
- Auto Rotate - On or Off
- Imprint - Off, Date or Date & Time
- Auto Power Off - Off, 1, 3, 5 or 10 minutes
- AF Lamp - Turn the AF assist lamp On of Off
- Format - Format the memory card/internal memory
- Reset - Return all settings to factory defaults
- Touch Calibration - Calibrate the touchscreen LCD
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
Compatibility: Ricoh Aficio FX10 Fax Machine
|$77 to $86|
Samsung DV300F Dual View Smart Camera - Black (EC-DV300FBPBUS) Deluxe Bundle With 8 GB Memory Card, Card Reader, Deluxe Carrying Case, Mini Tripod, Lens Cleaning Kit.
Picture perfect sharing everytime The latest in the groundbreaking line of DualView cameras, the DV300F Samsung SMART Camera lets you put yourself in a scene, capture it, and ...
Capture images from amazing angles with the Samsung MultiView.
Package Contents: SC-DC164 Digital Camcorder AC Adapter Battery Pack A/V Cable Remote Control USB Cable Software CD .