Record Screens & Menus
By Josh Fate
If you just want to pick up the camera and shoot, then S-Auto is for you. The Scene Auto mode takes care of all the settings for you, including selecting the proper scene mode for your current shooting situation.
The CX4's Scene modes include: Portrait, Night Portrait, Sports, Zoom Macro, Skew Correction Mode, Text Mode, Discreet Mode, Night Landscape Multi-Shot, Landscape, Pets and High Sensitivity.
Pressing the joystick brings up the REC. mode quick menu. This menu varies depending on the shooting mode. Shown above is the auto mode menu, which includes the settings for exposure compensation, white balance, ISO and image quality. When the camera is plugged in via the A/V cable (above) it does not show the option for the AE/AF settings, which are also present.
As a default, the Fn button is preset to quickly allow the user to select the AF tracking mode. This mode allows you to keep your subject in focus continuously as they move through the frame.
The joystick, which replaces the functions of a 4-way controller, has shortcuts for the flash and macro shooting modes. When in the menus, this allows you to navigate and select you options as well.
Program mode Rec. Menu:
- Pic Quality/Size - 4:3F (10M), 4:3N (10M), F 3:2 (9M), F 1:1 (7M), 16:9F (7M), 4:3F (5M), 4:3F (3M), 4:3F (1M), 4:3F (VGA)
- Focus - Multi AF, Face Priority Multi, Subject Tracking, Spot AF, Multi-target AF, MF, Snap, Infinity
- Pre-AF - On or Off
- Exposure Metering - Multi, Center, Spot
- Img Settings - Vivid, Standard, B&W, Sepia, Custom Settings
- Noise Reduction - Off, Auto, Weak, Strong, MAX
- Flash Expo. Comp. - ±2 in 1/3 increments
- Auto Bracket - Off, On, WB-BKT, CL-BKT, FOCUS-BKT
- Time Exposure - Off, 1, 2, 4 and 8 Sec.
- Record Dual Size - On or Off
- Custom Self Timer - Set number of pics and intervals between them
- Interval Shooting- Automatically shoots at an interval that you set.
- Camera Shake Cor. - On or Off
- Slow Shutter Limit - Off, 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 Sec.
- Date Imprint - Off, Date, Time
- Exposure Compensation - ±2 in 1/3 increments
- White Balance - Auto, Multi-P Auto, Outdoors, Cloudy, Incandescent Lamp 1, Incandescent Lamp 2, Fluorescent, Manual Settings
- ISO Setting - Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Maximum ISO for ISO Auto - 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Restore Defaults - Reset the camera to the factory defaults
The CX4 offers 5 continuous shooting modes. Normal continuous will capture images until the memory card fills, M-Cont. Plus (10M) is able to capture up to 15-full sized images at 5fps, M-Cont. Plus (2M) can capture images at 30fps for 26 images, Speed Continuous (Low) captures 60 shots per second (640x480) for 2 seconds and Speed Continuous (High) can capture 120fps for second (640x480).
Creative mode allows you to capture images that normally require special equipment or techniques with just the push of a button. These are a great way to show off your creative side.
Movie mode allows you to capture 720p HD videos with sound. While recording you can use the digital zoom but not the optical, however, it can be set beforehand. These movies can be played back on a computer or TV with included A/V cable. The camera does not have a way to play the HD videos on an HDTV.
Movie mode MENU options:
- Movie Size - 1280x720, 640x480, 320x240
Focus - Multi AF, Face Priority Multi, Spot AF, Infinity
Pre_AF - On or Off
White Balance - Auto, Outdoors, Cloudy, Incandescent Lamp 1, Incandescent Lamp 2, Fluorescent Lamp, Manual
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.