The Pentax Q10
, based on last year's Pentax Q
, was released last fall. And today at CES 2013 Pentax announced the camera -- the world's smallest, lightest digital interchangeable lens camera -- will now be available in an astounding 100 different color combinations. Each camera, only slightly larger than a deck of playing cards, will be custom built to order.
A dSLR quality camera in the compact body of a point-an-shoot, the Q10 has changed little over its predecessor, which is a good thing. A 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with built-in Shake Reduction (it automatically shifts the CMOS to offset camera shake), 3.0-inch LCD display, full 1080p HD video recording, 5 frames-per-second high speed continuous shooting, 4 manual exposure modes, and the Quick Control Dial are all here.
New for 2012 are color choice (now available in red or silver vs. last year's black or white), an upgraded Autofocus systems (with an AF Assist Light for low lighting focus), an expanded ISO range of up to 6400, 21 Scene Modes, 19 Digital Effects Filters, 9 Smart Effects Modes, improved Face Recognition (up to 12 faces at a time), a pop-up built-in flash, in-camera movie editing, and more.
Another nice, optional, feature that will debut alongside the Q10 is the the K-mount lens adapter, which will allow any Q-series camera to attach any K-series lens (manual focus only). An added bonus, when using a K-series lens through this adapter, the lens' focal length extends 5.5 times, which means a 300mm zoom lens becomes a 1650 super telephoto zoom.
- 12.4-megapixel, 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
- 3.0-inch LCD dispaly
- Full 1080p HD Video Recording (M.264 at 30 frames-per-second)
- Upgraded AF (Auto Focus) and AF Assist Light
- Face Recognition (up to 12 faces at a time)
- ISO 100-6400
- Built-in HDR (High Dynamic Range) Function
- SR (Shake Reduction) Mechanism
- 4 Exposure Modes
- Programmed AE (P)
- Shutter Priority AE (Tv)
- Aperture Priority AE (Av)
- Metered Manual (M)
- 5 frames-per-second high-speed continuous shooting (in JPEG)
- Auto Picture Mode, including:
- 21 Scene Modes, including
- Night Scene Portrait
- Backlight Silhouette
- 9 Smart Effect Modes, including Brilliant Color and Cross Process
- 4-position Quick Dial, to assign one of the 9 Effects
- 19 Digital Effects Filters
- 11 of them, including Toy Camera, Invert Color and Posterization can be used while shooting video or stills.
- In-Camera Movie Editing
- Bokeh Control (camera automatically defocuses everything that is not your focal subject)
- DRII (Dust Removal II) Mechanism (as seen on the K-5 II and 645D)
- Built-in Auto Flash (with Pop-up)
- Micro-HDMI output
- Works natively with all Pentax Q-Series lenses
- Optional K-Mount Adapter allows the Q10 to use any Pentax K-series lenses (but only with manual focus)
The Pentax Q10, already available in black or red or silver at most camera retailers, includes the 02 zoom lens and has an MSRP of $599.95. For the custom 100 color combinations, check out Adorama or www.pentaximaging.com
A new "06 telephoto zoom lens" is also be available for $299.95. Finally, the K-mount Adapter (last pictur below) will be available for $249.95.
Additional Product Views
Optional K-Mount Adapter