Optio WG-3 GPS
Optio WG-3 GPS
Pentax Optio WG-3 - WG-3 GPS Preview
First off, these models are some of the toughest we've seen from Pentax/Ricoh, with Lifeproof specs that are sure to impress adventurous users; and their friends. You can now take the WG-3 down to depths of up to 45 feet, drop it from up to 6.6 feet, or take it into freezing conditions down to 14 degrees F.
Core features include a fast new 4x optical zoom lens, which boasts a maximum aperture of f/2.0 to help with low-light and underwater photography. The lens is aided by Pentax's Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction technology, helping ensure you capture sharp photos with minimal blur. This lens is mated to a 16-megapixel, backlit, CMOS image sensor and new-generation Image Engine processor. The combination promises high-quality photos, in a variety of shooting situations.
Like I mentioned above, the WG-3 GPS adds Global Positioning System technology, which allows the camera to record positional data (latitude, longitude, altitude, etc.), as well as log your travels. On the front of the camera you'll find a handy monochrome LCD display that allows you to keep an eye on your direction with a digital compass, as well as having gauges to read altitude, pressure, or water depth. For an additional $50 in cost, these GPS features are well worth it in our eyes.
Pentax also mentions wireless recharging for the GPS model, however they don't give any real detail on how that system works, or whether or not the GPS model also offers built-in Wi-Fi. We'll report back on that issue, once we get some answers.
Pentax Optio WG-3 GPS features:
- 16-megapixel backlit CMOS image sensor
- New-generation Imge Engine processor
- Waterproof to 45 feet
- Shockproof from a 6.6 foot fall
- Crushproof up to 220LBF (pound-force)
- Coldproof down to 14 degrees F
- Fast f/2.0 4x optical zoom lens
- Sensor-shift Shake Reduction system
- Advanced GPS functionality
- Wireless recharging function (something we've never seen before)
- 3.0-inch LCD with 460k dots
- Six LED macro lights mounted into the lens bezel
- Enhanced Digital Microscope mode
- Full 1080p HD video recording
- Li-ion power source
- SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- Optional lens adapter to accept 20mm wide-angle conversion lens
- Optional SportMount Chest Harness for hands free operation
The Optio WG-3 GPS will come in Green or Purple, with a MSRP of $349.95, while the Optio WG-3 will be available in Orange or Black at $299.95.