Click on the K100D Super for a QuickTime VR tour
The Pentax K100D Super combines 6.1 effective megapixels of resolution with a host of advanced
technology, including both Shake Reduction and Dust Removal systems, to deliver high-quality digital SLR
photography and user-friendly operation. Compatible with a multitude of Pentax lenses and combining a TTL phase-matching
11 point wide autofocus system (SAFOX VIII) and a sophisticated 16-segment multi-pattern metering, the K100D Super
delivers outstanding image reproduction. A large 2.5 inch LCD monitor with 210,000 pixel resolution, and a friendly
Mode Dial offering Auto Picture and Picture modes as well as Scene modes make using the K110D Super
as simple as point and shoot. All these features combine in a lightweight 20.1 oz, compact body
designed with a high-rigidity stainless-steel chassis that is built to last.
The Pentax-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system in the K100D Super effectively offers a two- to
three-stop advantage for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions. The SR mechanism is designed
to minimize camera shake by oscillating the CCD image sensor
vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the speed of
oscillation in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor. As a
result, the system does not require special anti-shake lenses and can be used with almost
all existing Pentax interchangeable lenses.
The K100D Super features an auto sensitivity control function, which automatically sets the optimum standard
output sensitivity up to equivalent ISO of 3200, based on the subject's brightness level and the lens focal length.
Since this function allows the use of higher shutter speeds in poor lighting situations, it helps photographers reduce
camera shake and prevent blurred images
The K100D Super's user-friendly features include a comfortable
eyelevel viewfinder, a 2.5 inch color LCD monitor, a generous LCD data panel, and an
innovative Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of the proper exposure program.
Offering quick, effortless operation and easy portability, the K100D Super is the ideal
digital SLR for all levels of photographers, including first-timer digital SLR users and
The K100D Super is equipped to make camera operations simple and effortless for the user.
From the multi-function four-way controller to the responsive electronic select dial and
the large, easy-to-use mode dial, all switches and dials are efficiently and functionally
laid out around the K100D Super's compact body to assure smooth, fingertip control.
The built-in flash automatically pops up in dimly lit or backlit situations.
The K100D Super records up to 5 images consecutively at a speed of approximately 2.8 frames
per second, allowing the user to capture a series of the subject's action or movement.
The K100D Super includes Pentax Photo Laboratory 3 software for Windows and Macintosh OS which features
the reliable SILKYPIX image-processing
engine for RAW data processing, and the Pentax Photo Browser 3 that offers faster data processing speed and
better operability than the previous version, and can convert RAW images to the DNG format.
On the date this review was posted Pentax was offering a web-bundle of the K100D Super body with a Pentax
18-55mm zoom lens for an affordable $599 (US).
Pentax K100D Super Features:
- 6.1 effective megapixels of resolution
- Compact, ultra-lightweight body, weighs only 20.1 oz
- Compatible with Pentax interchangeable lenses (some will require an adapter)
- Shake reduction (SR) mechanism
- Dust removal system
- 11-point wide-frame AF system
- 16-segment multi-pattern metering system
- Auto sensitivity control up to iso 3200 (equivalent)
- Top shutter speed of 1/4000 second
- Slow shutter speeds noise reduction function
- Continuous shooting at 2.8 images per second
- Auto Picture mode for point-and-shoot photography
- 2.5 inch color LCD monitor
- Penta-mirror viewfinderwith a 0.85X magnification and a 96 percent field of view
- SD memory card compatible with Save-by-Day Storage feature
- Powered by AA Batteries or optional CR-V3 Lithium batteries
- compatible with PictBridge, DPOF, Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching III systems,
- Playback functions; histogram, nine-image thumbnail and 12X zoom display
- Six digital filters (black-and-white, sepia, color, slim, brightness and soft-focus) for easy
post-shooting image processing
- High-speed USB 2.0 connectivity
- Optional wireless remote controller and wired cable release
The Pentax K100D Super box includes 4x AA alkaline batteries, I-USB17 USB Interface Cable,
I-VC28 Video Cable, camera strap (O-ST53), hot shoe cover, Eyecup FO (replacement,
SLR body mount cover, software CD-ROM (Pentax Photo Laboratory 3, Pentax Photo Browser 3) and
User Guide and excellent Software operating guide.
Optional accessories include the AC Adapter Kit K-AC10U, Cable Switch CS-205, Remote Control F,
Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53 (1.2x) and the DSLR Gadget Bag.