Click on the K100D for a QuickTime VR tour
The PENTAX K100D combines 6.1 effective megapixels of resolution with a host of advanced
technologies including a Shake Reduction (SR) system to deliver high-quality digital SLR
photography and user-friendly operation to all levels of photographers.
The PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system in the K100D effectively offers a two- to
three-stop advantage for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions,
such as using a telephoto lens or shooting in low light without a flash.
The SR mechanism is designed to minimize camera shake by oscillating the CCD image sensor
vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the speed of
oscillation in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor. As a
result, the system does not require special anti-shake lenses and can be used with almost
all existing PENTAX interchangeable lenses.
The K100D's user-friendly features include a comfortable
eyelevel viewfinder, a 2.5 inch color LCD monitor, a generous LCD data panel, and an
innovative Auto picture mode for automatic selection of the proper exposure program.
Offering quick, effortless operation and easy portability, the K100D is the ideal
digital SLR for all levels of photographers, including first-timer digital SLR users and
The K100D is equipped to make camera operations simple and effortless for the user.
From the multi-function four-way controller to the responsive electronic select dial and
the large, easy-to-use mode dial, all switches and dials are efficiently and functionally
laid out around the K100D's compact body to assure smooth, fingertip control.
Its innovative Auto picture mode automatically and instantly selects the optimum
combination of exposure settings for a given subject or situation, including shutter
speed, aperture, white balance, saturation, contrast, and intensity of edges. The built-in
auto flash automatically pops up in dimly lit or backlit situations.
The K100D records up to 5 images consecutively at a speed of approximately 2.8 frames
per second, allowing the user to capture a series of the subject's action or movement.
A wide range of compatible PENTAX lenses are available for use with the K100D
including K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses; screw mount lenses, 645, and 67 series
lenses (adapter required). Some functions may not activate depending on the choice of
Pentax K100D Features:
- Built-in Shake Reduction via CCD-shift
- High resolution, APS-C size 6.1-Megapixel CCD image sensor
- Image sizes are: 6M 3000x2008, 4M 2400x1600 or 1.5M 1536x1024
- Choice of JPEG with 3 quality levels or RAW recording formats
- Software included to manipulate RAW format image data
- Compatible with Pentax K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses; screw mount lenses, 645,
and 67 series lenses (adapter required)
- 2.5-inch, 210,000-pixel color LCD monitor for easy viewing
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 96% field of view
- 16-segment metering with Multi-Segment, Spot and Center-weighted options
- 11-point autofocus (SAFOX VIII) with Auto, Manual or Center AF point selection
- Shutter speeds from 1/4000 to 30 seconds plus Bulb
- Auto pop-up flash with red-eye reduction, external flash units
can be used with P-TTL hot shoe
- Auto Picture, Scene (Night Scene, Surf & Snow, Text, Sunset, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum),
Program AE, Shutter-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE,
Manual, Bulb, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait and Flash Off exposure modes.
- 2.8fps Continuous capture of up to 5 JPEG or 3 RAW frames
- 18 Custom Settings to personalize camera operations
- Noise reduction function activates for long exposures
- Playback functions; histogram, nine-image thumbnail and 12X zoom display
- Six digital filters (black-and-white, sepia, color, slim, brightness and soft-focus) for easy
post-shooting image processing
- Uses removable Secure Digital flash memory cards
- High-speed USB 2.0 connectivity, PictBridge and Print Image Matching III compatible
- Powered by 4 AA batteries or 2 CR-V3 Li-ion batteries
- Optional wireless remote controller and wired cable release
The Pentax K100D is available now as a kit bundled with the Pentax-DA Zoom 18-55mm F3.5-
F5.6 AL lens, PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 RAW-data processing and PHOTO
Browser 3 browser software included