Ricoh Imaging announced the new PENTAX K-3 DSLR. Designed with "advanced enthusiasts" in mind, the K-3 boasts a 24-megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor, the ability to continuously shoot at 8.3 frames-per-second, Full HD 1080p Video Recording, a proprietary anti-aliasing filter (which can be turned off and on), a Shake Reduction mechanism, and dual memory card slots compatible with PENTAX FLU SDHC memory cards for wireless connectivity to PCs or other devices connected via a web browser. This allows owners to not only backup their photographs, but also access a live-view of images you're about to capture.
Other nice K-3 features include a weather-resistant body, headphone and external stereo microphone terminals four sound recording and monitoring sound levels, a variety of Creative Special Effects Modes including High Dynamic Range mode, and an upgraded Interval Movie Mode, which allows users to capture 4K-resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) time-lapse movie clips.
If that weren't enough goodies and high performance specifications, PENTAX is also tossing in a newly designed 27-sensor autofocus module, the SAFOX11, as well as the new Real-Time Scene Analysis System, which uses the 86,000 RGB light-metering sensor to accurate handle exposure, white balance, and auto-focus.
PENTAX K-3 Features
- Cold-resistant down to -10°C
- 24-megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS image sensor (23.5mm×15.6mm)
- PRIME III imaging engine
- 3.2-inch LCD (1,037,000 dots)
- Full HD H.264 Video Recording
- 1920x1080, 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p
- 1280x720, 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p)
- 4K (3840 x 2160) Interval Movie Mode
- Stereo Microphone Terminal with manual level adjustments
- Headphone Terminal
- SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism
- ISO 100-51200
- Anti-Aliasing Simulator
- 8.3 frames-per-second continuous shooting
- Up to 22 frames in RAW
- Up to 60 frames in JPEG
- Newly designed SAFOX 11 AF module with 27 auto focus points
- Real-Time Scene Analysis System
- Dual SD memory card slots
- DRII (Dust Removal II) Mechanism
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Shooting Mode
- Mode dial with a choice of lock mechanism engagement (ON or OFF)
- Redesigned, resized grip
- Compatibile with Eye-Fi wireless LAN memory cards
- Compatible with USB3.0-standard interface accessories
- Compatible with HDMI (type D)
- Digital Camera Utility 5 software included
- Durable shutter unit tested to 200,000 shutter releases
- Optional Accessories
- D-BG5 Battery Grip
- O-FC1 FLU CARD FOR PENTAX 16GB
- O-ST1401 Camera Strap
The PENTAX K-3 will be available in two color choices -- Black or Premium Silver -- this November (2013).
The standard black model will have a $1,299.95 body-only MSRP. Or you can pick up the kit, which includes the DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 WR zoom lens, for $1,699.95. The Premium Silver Edition is a limited edition model -- they are only making 2,000 -- and includes an exclusive leather strap and the silver D-BG5 battery grip; this silver body + strap + battery grip edition will MSRP for $1,599.95 and be available only through www.us.ricoh-imaging.com.
The optional PENTAX FLU SDHC 16GB memory cards and D-BG5 battery grips will also be available this November (2013) with MSRPs of $99.95 and $229.95, respectively.
Additional Product Views