Replacing 2011's well reviewed TS3
, Panasonic has just announced its top-of-the-line "Lifeproof" camera; the LUMIX DMC-TS4
. On the surface, this new model looks an awful lot like its predecessor. It's got a 12.1 megapixel CCD sensor capable of 1080/60i or 720/60p HD video recording, a 4.6x optical zoom lens, and a 2.7-inch LCD viewfinder designed to be easy to see underwater. Speaking of water, like the TS3, the TS4 is Waterproof down to 40 feet (12 meters) and a Shockproof up to 6.6-foot (2 Meter) falls, Freezeproof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, and Dustproof.
So where's the big difference? It seems the bigger changes are behind the scenes. The built-in GPS system has been upgraded and enhanced. It includes a barometer log, compass, and altimeter which is all stored in your pictures for Geo-tagging. And thanks to an included DVD, you can load in maps to over a million landmarks in 82 countries / regions. Another upgrade is that for the first time ever in a TS-series camera, photographers will be able to manually control Aperture and Exposure settings.
There are also Time Lapse Shot, Miniature Effect and a Panorama Shot mode capable of capturing full 360-degree panoramas. But if all those manual controls and extra modes confuse you, don't worry, you can always let the camera do all the work in iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode!
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TS4 Features:
- 12.1 Megapixel CCD image sensor
- 4.6x optical zoom (28-128mm)
- 2.7-inch LCD viewfinder
- Waterproof down to 40 feet (12 meters)
- Shockproof up to 6.6 feet (2 meters)
- Freezeproof down to 14 degrees F
- Manual shutter speed and aperture settings (a first for this series!)
- 1080/60i or 720/60p HD video recording
- Built-in GPS (Geo Tagging and load in maps from the included DVD)
- Venus Engine
- iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode
- Intelligent Noise Reduction
- High-speed Burst Shooting
- Sonic Speed AF
- Time Lapse Shot
- Miniature Effect
- Panorama Shot
- (up to 360 degrees)
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TS4, available in blue, orange, black, and silver, will hit stores mid-March of 2012 with an MSRP of $399.99.
Additional Product Views: