Click to take a QuickTime tour of the DMC-L10
Panasonic has introduced the newest member of its digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera line, the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-L10. It offers
an advanced 2.5 inch Live View LCD which can rotate 270 degrees, enabling versatile shooting options, and making it easy and convenient
to shoot from high or low angles. Complete with a 10.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor, the DMC-L10 includes an advanced, Supersonic Wave
Filter system that prevents dust from collecting on the sensor and degrading photo quality.
The DMC-L10 is Panasonic's first digital SLR with Face Detection, which will focus, set auto exposure and can
detect up to 15 human faces simultaneously, capturing the subjects clearly and brightly. Combining Face
Detection with Panasonic's Intelligent ISO Control settings, which measures the movement of the subject and
sets the ISO level accordingly, helps give consumers crisp, blur-free images.
The Live View LCD lets users check the image on the camera after making exposure compensation adjustments, but
before taking the shot. The LCD also features an Intelligent LCD function that offers an automatic brightness
level control function, making the screen visible regardless of a bright sunlit or dark environment. In
addition, the DMC-L10 adopts advanced hybrid-type AF system, which gives users the option to choose either the
phase difference AF system or the contrast AF to suit the preferred shooting style. While in manual mode, the
user can enlarge part of the subject on LCD and also freely move the magnified area for easy framing.
A common concern among digital SLR camera users is the potential of dust entering the camera's body when
adjusting interchangeable lenses. To combat this, Panasonic has equipped the DMC-L10 with a Supersonic Wave
Filter system that uses supersonic vibrations to shake off dust clinging to the sensor, which also simplifies
the maintenance process.
The DMC-L10 incorporates a variety of functions that build a bridge for those transitioning from a compact
digital camera to a digital SLR, helping them to take high-quality digital photos. For instance, the Mode Dial
on top of the camera provides easy access to the most frequently used settings including Auto mode, each
P/A/S/M mode, and five scene modes (Portrait, Scenery, Macro, Sports and Night Portrait) and one custom mode
that can be set per the user's preference.
The DMC-L10 comes equipped with a LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm / F3.8-5.6 / MEGA O.I.S. lens, which has a focal
length from 14mm to 50mm, and offers a more compact and light-weight body than its predecessor (LEICA D VARIO-
ELMARIT 14-50mm/ F2.8 -3.5 ASPH).
Other advanced offerings include:
- Film Mode: Allows users to choose a setting which mimics the effects of analog film. Users select from nine modes including Standard, Dynamic, Nature, Smooth, Nostalgic, Vibrant, Standard B/W, Dynamic B/W and Smooth B/W, with the capability to finely adjust contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction. All these settings can be confirmed before you take the picture and the result is always as you intended.
- The Venus Engine III: Image processing LSI developed by Panasonic to maximize the performance of the Leica D lens and Live MOS sensor. This advanced LSI helps reproduce images with outstanding resolution, superior color and detailed gradation. It also distinguishes chromatic noise from luminance noise and selectively reduces the chromatic noise, one of the chief sources of image quality problem. This helps the DMC-L10 deliver the superb image rendering one expects from a quality SLR camera.
- Image Stabilization: Panasonic drew on its cutting-edge lens technology to invent Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), a system that prevents blurring from shaky hands and has been incorporated in the full 2007 line of LUMIX digital cameras. This high-precision image stabilizing lens system is now available with the LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm/F3.8-5.6/MEGA O.I.S.
- Advanced Scene Modes: As part of the L10's intuitive usability, the photographer can make finer adjustments when using frequently-used scenes such as Portrait, Sports, Landscape and Night portrait. For instance, when selecting the Portrait or Sports mode, users can further define whether the scene is in outdoors or indoors. When using the Landscape mode, users can specify if it is a nature or an architectural shot.
- Auto-Focusing Methods: To match the shooting situation and subject's position, the user can select from six auto-focusing methods: Face Detection, 9-point, Multi, 3-point, 1-point and Spot. With the 1-point AF or spot AF method, the auto-focusing area can be chosen from as many as 11 points. Various group area patterns can also be selected in the new Multi method.
Panasonic DMC-L10 Features:
- 10.1-Megapixel Live MOS CCD imager yielding 3648x2736 pixel images (4:3 aspect ratio)
- Choose from 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 aspect ratios
- Four-Thirds lens mount system for use of various digital specific camera lenses
- Kit includes LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm / F3.8-5.6 / MEGA O.I.S. lens
- Live View allows you to frame pictures with the large 2.5-inch rotating LCD
- Auto, Program AE, Aperture/Shutter Priority, Full Manual, and Custom exposure control
- 5 standard pre-programmed Scene modes + 5 Advanced Scene modes
- The Venus Engine III image processor for great detail and maximum performance
- Compressed RAW and JPEG (Fine/Standard) formats, including RAW+JPEG (Fine or Standard)
- TTL Auto White Balance with several presets, custom set, and White Balance Adjustment
- Shutter speeds from 1/4000 to 60 seconds and Bulb (approx. 8 minutes)
- Burst shooting at 3fps with unlimited consecutive shooting
- 3-point AF with Auto/1fixed point, left/1fixed point, center/1fixed point, right/1fixed point modes
- Contrast AF system when using Live View, 9-point AF with Multi0point, 3-point, 1-point, Spot and Face detection modes
- 2.5-inch 270 degree rotating color LCD with 207,000 pixels (Live View= 100% frame coverage)
- Eye-level Penta Mirror optical viewfinder with approx. 95% frame coverage and Diopter adjustment
- Auto ISO sensitivity or fixed from 100 to 1600 as well as Intelligent ISO in Live View mode
- Noise Reduction for long exposures
- SD/SDHC/MMC memory card storage
- Selectable video output with NTSC or PAL format
- USB 2.0 (High-speed) data and control interface
- Powerful DMW-BLA13PP 7.2V 1320mAh Li-ion battery pack and compact DE-A38 AC charger
The DMC-L10 Camera Kit includes the LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-50mm / F3.8-5.6 / MEGA O.I.S. lens and is
available now for an estimated price of US$1299.95. It ships with Battery Charger, Battery Pack, AC
Adaptor, Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap, Lens Storage Bag, Eyepiece Cap, Body Cap, AC, USB & Video
Cables, Strap, CD-ROM, and Magnifier Eyecup.