Panasonic today announced the LUMIX DMC-GH4, the world's first DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) camera capable of recording 4K Ultra HD Video, which means this camera system is aimed at photographers as well as cinematographers.
At the heart of the GH4, we have a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Image Sensor paired with the newly developed Venus Engine image processor with a new quad-core CPU. These two components translate to dramatic improvements in "sensitivity, gradation performance, resolution, and color reproduction."
The GH4 can record two resolutions of "4K" video as well as variable frame rates in Full 1080p HD at up to 96 frames-per-second (fps)... all while outputting the video at 4:2:2 / 10bit via the Micro-HDMI output for external display or recording. Further, full resolution still images can be captured at 12fps for up to 40 frames (in RAW) or 100 frames (JPEG). To help with all those frames, the GH4's Contrast AF (AutoFocus) is better than ever, with a 0.07 second lag time. The 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks round out what is an impressive filmmaking tool.
The GH4 also boasts two OLED displays, the first a widescreen 2.359K-dot Live View Finder, the second a 3.0-inch touchscreen that "rotates 180° to the side and tilts 270° up and down [, and] offers approx. 100% of field of view." Wi-Fi and NFC technologies are a must for most new 2014 cameras. When combined with the Panasonic Image App, users can transfer images and video first to a smartphone, and then on to social networking sites.
Panasonic LUMIX GH4 Features
- 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Image Sensor
- Venus Engine Image Processor (with a Quad-core CPU)
- 3.0-inch Rotating, Tilting Touchscreen OLED Display
- 4K Ultra HD Video Recording
- Cinema 4K: 4096x2160 @ 24fps
- QFHD 4K: 3840x2160 @ up to 30fps
- Full 108op HD Video Recording
- 200 Mbps (ALL-Intra)
- 100 Mbps (IPB)
- Variable Frame Rate
- Up to 96fps
- Real-time Image Output via micro-HDMI
- Up to 4:2:2 /10-bit
- ISO up to 25,600
- 12 frames-per-second Burst Shooting (AFS)
- Up to 40 with RAW
- Up to 100 without
- 7 frames-per-second Burst Shooting (AFC)
- Contrast AF (AutoFocus)
- 3.5mm Microphone Jack
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- Records LPCM Audio
- Integrated Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communciations)
- Requires the free Panasonic Image App
- Luminance Level Adjustment
- Focus Peaking
- Silent Mode
- Highlight/Shadow Control
- RAW Data Development in Camera
- External Flash (DMW-FL580L)
- Stereo Shotgun Microphone (DMW-MS2)
- Interface Unit (DMW-YAGH)
- For professional Full HD (4:2:2 / 10-bit) and 4K (4:2:2 / 10-bit) output with or without timecode.
Pricing and availability for the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH4 have yet to be announced.
Addition Product Views