Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Preview
One of the latest cameras in Panasonic's FZ lineup, the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 replaces the exceptional DMC-FZ35
and has a series of upgrades to consider. Resolution has been bumped up from 12 to 14-megapixels, the optical zoom range has increased from 18x to 24x and Panasonic updated the LCD screen size from 2.7-inch to 3.0-inch.
The camera also boasts 720p HD video recording with stereo sound, their newer "Power O.I.S." optical image stabilization system, face recognition, Intelligent Auto, manual control of aperture and shutter speed along with a bevy of other options. The LUMIX DMC-FZ40 camera comes in one color, black, and is approximately the same size as the previous FZ35.
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 key features:
- 14.1 megapixel, 1/2.33-inch sensor
- Leica DC-Vario-Elmarit 24x ultra-wide angle optical zoom lens with 25-600mm in 35mm equivalent focal range (4x digital zoom)
- 0.20-inch Color EVF
- ISO 80-1600 (up to 6400 high sensitivity)
- 3.0-inch TFT LCD with 230K pixels
- 720p HD video capture (60 fps, AVCHD Lite)
- Face recognition / tracking
- Manual jog dial controls for shutter speed and aperture
- Intelligent Auto (iA) mode
- POWER Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.)
- SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- HDMI output (Auto / 1080i / 720p / 480p)
- Stereo Microphone
- Powered by a Li-ion battery pack (rated up to 580 shots per charge)
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 will come in black sometime in late August 2010 for a suggested retail price of $399.95 US. Look for our in-depth review in the weeks to come.
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.