Olympus has announced its latest tough-series camera, the Stylus TG-850. While many of the specifications are on par with last years' models -- Waterproof down to 33 feet (10m), Shockproof from seven feet (2.1m), Crushproof up to 220 pounds (100kgf), Freezeproof down to 14° F (-10°C) , Dustproof, 16-megapixel back-lit CMOS image sensor, True-Pic VII image processor, 5x optical zoom lens, FAST AF (AutoFocus) and Full 1080p HD Video recording -- the TG-850 is among the first "lifeproof" style cameras to include a 3.0-inch 180° flip screen LCD (460K dot). This flip screen is a great feature for composing selfies and self-group shoots above and under water. And, you can now frame photos while staying dry by setting the screen to 90°, and dipping the camera under the surface.
Another nice feature is the Interval Shooting, which will take up to 99 shots at intervals ranging from 10 seconds to 60 minutes -- Olympus seems to really want to compete with GoPro. If fast-motion time-lapse photography isn't your style, the TG-850 can record 120 frames-per-second (fps) and 240 fps super slow motion at less-than-HD resolutions. In any of these scenarios, Multi-Motion Movie image stabilization, which compensates for motion blur, will come in handy.
Lastly, the TG-850 does not, itself, include built-in Wi-Fi, but the camera is compatible with the (optional) Toshiba FlashAir SDHC memory card, which allows users to connect the TG-850 to a smartphone or tablet device running a free app. From there, it's easy to back up, email, or share your photos and videos via social networking sites.
Olympus TG-850 Features:
- Waterproof down to 33 feet (10m)
- Shockproof from seven feet (2.1m)
- Crushproof up to 220 pounds (100kgf)
- Freezeproof down to 14° F (-10°C)
- 16-megapixel back-lit CMOS image sensor
- True-Pic VII image processor
- 5x optical zoom lens
- 21-105mm (35mm equivalent)
- 3.0-inch 180° Flip LCD (460K dot)
- Full 1080p HD Video Recording at 60 frames-per-second (fps)
- HS120fps at 640x480
- HS240fps at 320x240
- Multi-Motion Movie Image Stabilization
- FAST AF (AutoFocus)
- 7.1 fps Sequential Shooting
- 11 Art Filters
- Interval Shooting
- Up to 99 Frames
- Intervals from 10 seconds to 60 minutes
- Compatible with the Toshiba FlashAir SDHC Card
Available in silver, black, or white, the Olympus STYLUS TG-850 will be hit stores in March (2014) with a $249.99 MSRP.
Additional Product Views