Olympus FE-140 Zoom Review
Playback Screens & Menus
After you take a picture or when you switch to Playback mode, the last image captured is
displayed full screen with a minimal amount of overlay information.
Depress the DISP(lay) button to call up the extended exposure information: you can see the xD card was used,
the file folder number (100), picture number (0003), image quality (SHQ), date (5/9/06), and time (10:34) and
this is image number (3) of all the images currently on the xD card.
Pressing the wide angle zoom control enables the thumbnail index mode. Repeatedly touching the wide angle
zoom control toggles the display between
4, 9, 16 and 25 thumbnails, allowing you to quickly locate a desired image.
While viewing an image full screen, you can press the telephoto zoom control and magnify an
image up to 10x. Once enlarged you can move around the image using the
4-way controller to examine the picture for color, focus, etc.
To correct the orientation of you pictures when viewing images on either the LCD or on a
Television set, simply select the Rotate option in the Playback menu.
While playing back a video clip onscreen, the run time and total time is displayed in the lower
right corner of the screen. You can then fast forward and rewind using the 4-way controller.
- Erase - Erase selected or all images
- Index - Display an index of 9 thumbnail images
- Calendar - Display a calendar index of images
- Slide-Show - Slide show options
- Edit - In-camera image editing functions
- Print Order - Select images for printing via DPOF
- Playback Menu - Protect or rotate images
- Setup - Camera setup menu - see below
Calendar playback mode displays a monthly calendar with tiny thumbnail images on the days those images were taken.
Slide show options include normal, fader, slide and zoom effects for playback on the camera's LCD or
a TV connected with the A/V cable.
The camera has a versatile set of built-in image editing functions, including resize, crop, red eye fix,
black and white, sepia, frame, title, calendar, layout, brightness and saturation. The edited image is
saved as a new file, preserving the original.
Images can be resized to 640x480 or 320x240 for efficient emailing or web hosting.
Images can be cropped with any of several templates that are selected via the zoom control. The crop
guide can be moved using the 4-way controller.
A variety of frames can be added to the image. Frames are selected via the 4-way controller.
A month calendar can be created using any image.
Image brightness can be adjusted, with the result displayed next to the original image.
Color saturation can also be adjusted, with the same side-by-side display of before and after.
Setup menu options:
- Fomat - Format the xD memory card
- Backup - Copy images stored in internal memory to the xD memory card
- Language - Select from English, French, Spanish and Portuguese
- Color - Select menu bacground of Normal (blue), Pink or Green
- Pixel Mapping - Test the image sensor and eliminate using dead or hot pixels
- LCD Brightness - Normal or Bright
- Clock - Set date and time
- Video Out - Select NTSC or PAL
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.