Olympus has announced the newest entry in its PEN interchangeable lens camera series that includes many of the performance features found in the more expensive OM-D series. The PEN Lite E-PL7
builds upon the E-PL5
, adding an all new graphic user interface (GUI), built-in 3-axis image stabilization, and the newer TruePic VII image processor. This new processor, when combined with the 16.05-megapixel Live MOS image sensor and the new 81-point "FAST AF" system, allows the camera to capture an unlimited number of full resolution photos in an 8 frame-per-second Burst Shooting mode as well as Full 1080p HD video. The E-PL7 even offers up a new and improved battery that's capable of 350-shots per charge while using the bundled external flash 50% of the time.
The E-PL7's a 1.04-million dot, downward tilting LCD screen includes a Selfie Mode, with one-touch on-screen shutter button available as you're framing your shots as well as customizable "selfie interval shooting", which defaults to taking three pictures back-to-back (to back) at one second intervals to allow you and your friends to swap in and out a few different poses.
Built-in Wi-Fi teams up with the Olympus Share Image app to quickly pair the E-PL7 over a self-generating wireless network. From there, it's easy to share photos and videos, backup files, and turn your smartphone or tablet into a remote control and/or external monitor. Another nice feature on the app is Live Bulb mode, which allows you to take long exposures (helpful at night to properly photograph starscapes) with having to touch your camera, thus bumping it and ruining the photograph.
Lastly, the E-PL7 has been designed for the creative at art. All the older Art Filters and Scene Modes and HDR photography (for increased saturation and dynamic range) and interval shooting (for time-lapse), but Olympus has added two new Art Filters, a new Art Effect, and even expanded the Photo Story function to include a Layout mode so you can arrange your pictures just like a real-world photo album.
Olympus PEN Lite E-PL7 Features:
- 16.05 MP Live MOS image senator
- TruePic VII image processor
- 3.0-inch downward titling touchscreen LCD (1.04M dots)
- "Selfie Mode"
- One-touch on-screen shutter
- Selfie interval shooting
- An all new GUI (graphic user interface)
- Built-in 3-axis VCM image stabilization
- 81-point FAST AF (AutoFocus) System
- Small Target AF
- Super Spot AF
- 8 frames-per-second Burst Shooting Mode
- up to 20 frames RAW
- or unlimited JPEGs
- Full 1080/30p HD Video Recording
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Olympus Image Share (O.I. Share) app
- Movie Button
- Live Bulb
- Single, Sequential High, and Sequential Low Selfie Options
- creates its own Wi-Fi network
- Live View
- 2 New Art Filters
- New Art Effects, including Shade Effect
- Photo Story now includes Layout Mode
- New Scene Modes, including Panning
- Interval Mode
- Live Composite
- New BLS-50 Battery Pack
- Rated up to 350 shots with 50% flash usage.
- E-PL7 Genuine Leather Body Jacket (brown, black, or light brown) -- $59.99
- 14-42 EZ Genuine Leather Lens Jacket (brown, black, or light brown) -- $44.99
- PT-EP12 Underwater Housing -- $749.99
- UFL-3 Underwater Flash -- $499.99
The Olympus E-PL7 will be available this September (2014) in black/black, silver/black, or silver/white with a $599.99 body only editor, or a $699.99 kit that includes the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 I R lens.
Additional Product Views