Olympus E-5 dSLR Review
Conclusion and Samples posted 10/11/2010
|The Olympus E-5 is a welcomed replacement to the E-3 from 2007. This unit offers various improvements, a durable body with weather/dust resistance, excellent image quality and robust performance. It's also competitively priced. Read more in our Full Conclusion.|
The E-5 replaces the E-3 from 2007, and boasts a 12.3-megapixel Live MOS image sensor (same unit found in the E-PL1), Four Thirds lens mount system, TruePic V+ processor with Fine Detail Processing technology, and an awesome 3.0-inch LCD that offers dual axis swiveling. On top of its robust exposure capabilities and control, Olympus has incorporated some of the creative functions found on their Digital PEN cameras, such as their popular Art Filters.
We got our hands on a pre-production unit for about a week, and were very impressed with the build quality and feature set of this model. This is sure to be a very competitive model against the mid to professional level dSLR offerings from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax. Update: since out first look, we've had the opportunity to put a full production E-5 through the paces. See our conclusion page for more details.
Olympus E-5 dSLR main features:
- 12.3-megapixel 4/3 CMOS image sensor
- Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
- 4/3 lens mount, compatible with more than 20 Four Thirds lenses
- TruePic V+ processing unit
- 3.0-inch, 270 degree swiveling LCD screen with 921k pixels
- Records 720p (1280x720) Motion JPEG HD video at 30fps
- In-body Mechanical Image Stabilization system provides up to 5 EV compensation
- 49-point TTL metering system
- High-speed 11-point phase-detection AF system
- Broad shutter speed range: 60 - 1/8000 sec (Bulb up to 30 min.)
- Sensitivity settings from ISO 100 - 6400 in 1/3 or 1 EV steps
- Slow shutter and High ISO Noise Reduction
- Burst mode shooting at up to 5fps; unlimited in JPEG, max. 16 frames in RAW
- In-camera JPEG and RAW photos editing
- Built-in, pop-up flash unit
- Powered by a BLM-5 Li-ion battery pack (up to 870 shots using the optical viewfinder)
- Dual card slot for CF/CF2 and SD/SDHC memory cards
- Vast array of optional accessories
What's in the box?:
- E-5 dSLR Body
- Li-ion battery BLM-5
- Li-ion battery charger BCM-5
- USB cable
- Audio&Video cable
- Shoulder strap
- OLYMPUS View2 CD-ROM
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
PIXEL RC-201 Remote Shutter Release Control compatible with OLYMPUS RM-CB1, for Olympus DSLR E1 E3 E5 E10 E20 E20N E100RS C2500L
This Remote Control is a replacement for OLYMPUS RM-CB1, Fits Olympus DSLR E1 E3 E5 E10 E20 E20N E100RS C2500L
Db Roth Deluxe 57" Camera Tripod with Carrying Case For The Sony DCR-SR42, SR45, SR46, SR47, SR62, SR65, SR67, SR82, SR85, SR87, SR200, SR220, SR300, SX40, SX41, SX60 Camcorders
The Digital Concepts TR-60N Camera Tripod is designed for most film and digital cameras as well as camcorders.
Neewer Thumbs Up Grip TU-100B for Micro DSLR Camera Black Canon M Fuji X-E1/X-Pro1 Panasonic GF2/GF1
Description: * Canon M. * Fuji X-E1/X-Pro1. * Panasonic GF2/GF1. * Olympus. * E-PM2/ E-PM1/ E-PL5/ E-PL3/ E-PL2/ E-PL1/ E-P3/ E-PL2/ E-P1. * Pentax Q/Pentax Q10. * Samsung ...
Compatibility: Olympus - E-620, E-450, E-420, SP-590UZ, SP-565 UZ, SP-570 UZ, E-System Digital SLR Accessories - 4.5" x 4.1" x 2.8" - Ballistic Nylon - Black - This small ...
|$15 to $26|