Record Screens & Menus
However, Smart Photo selector takes it one step further. Using multi-frame technology, the camera starts recording images to the buffer as you half-press the shutter, and continues shortly after the shutter button is fully depressed; up to a maximum of 90 seconds. The camera then selects the best 5 frames from the group and saves them to the memory card. The camera will then give show you which picture it believe is the best.
While this mode takes a bit more time than using say Program or Scene Auto selector mode, it increases your chances of catching that perfect shot with the help of multi-frame technology.
Here you can see Program mode with the shutter release half-pressed. Program mode offers automatic exposure control, with access to most all of the camera settings with exception of aperture and shutter speed settings; like ISO, White balance, Focus mode, Metering, etc.
The J1 also offers various advanced exposure options that you'd expect to find on an EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) camera, such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, and full Manual. To change to one of these settings, move the mode dial to the Camera position, then enter the menu and select the desired program from the Exposure mode option.
Camera menu in P/A/S/M modes:
- Reset shooting options - reset to factory defaults
- Exposure mode - Scene Auto selector, Program, Shutter speed priority, Aperture priority, Manual
- Image quality - NEF (RAW), JPEF Fine, JPEG normal, JPEG basic, NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine
- Image size - Large (3872x2592), Medium (2896x1944), Small (1936x1296)
- Continuous - Single frame, Continuous (5fps @ full res), Electronic HI (10, 30, 60fps)
- Metering - Matrix, Center-weighted, Spot
- White balance - Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, Shade, Manual Preset
- ISO sensitivity - A3200 (Auto 100-3200), A800 (Auto 100-800), A400 (Auto 100-400), 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, HI 1
- Picture Control - Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape
- Custom Picture Control - Create your own custom picture control settings
- Color space - sRGB or Adobe RGB
- Active D-Lighting - On or Off
- Long Exposure NR - On or Off
- High ISO noise reduction - On or Off
- Fade In/fade out - White Fade, Black Fade, Off
- Movie sound options - Microphone On or Off, Wind noise reduction
- Interval timer shooting - Set the number of shots and interval of time between shots
- Vibration Reduction - Normal, Active, Off
- Focus mode - AF-A, AF-S, AF-C, AF-F, MF
- AF-area mode - Auto-area, Single-point, Subject tracking
- Face-priority AF - On or Off
- Built-in AF assist - On or Off
- Flash Compensation - Adjust the output of the flash from -3EV to +1EV in 1/3EV steps
Thanks to the movie record button located on the top of the camera, you can start recording full 1080p HD video at anytime, no matter what exposure mode you're in. You have several options in movie mode, you can record at resolutions of 1920x1080 (60i), 1920x1080 (30p), or 1280x720 (60p). Sound is recorded in AAC Stereo format, with the option to adjust the sensitivity. Video files are saved as .MOV files using the H.264/MPEG-4 codec.
The J1 also boasts some high-speed video options. You can crank up the frame rate to 400fps (640x480), or 1200fps (320x120). However, be warned that the the resolution drops significantly with these modes when compared to the HD options. The maximum recording time using the high-speed modes is 5 seconds.
Setup menu options:
- Rest setup options - restore factory default settings for the setup menu
- Format memory card - Format the SD card (erases everything)
- Slot empty release lock - Control whether the shutter can be released when a memory card is not present; Locked or unlocked
- Welcome screen - Choose the welcome message at power-up
- Monitor brightness - Manually adjust the brightness of the LCD in various setups
- Grid display - On or Off
- Sound settings - Choose the camera sounds for the Shutter and Autofocus/Self-timer
- Auto power off - 15s, 30s, 1min, 5min, 10min
- Remote on duration - Choose how long the camera will remain active when using a remote control; between 1 - 15 minutes
- Assign AE/AF-L button - AE/AF Lock, AE Lock only, AF Lock only
- Shutter button AE lock - On or Off
- HDMI device control - Lets you control the camera remotely when using the HDMI-CEC televisions
- Flicker reduction - Reduces the banding or flickering that can be present in movies when shooting under fluorescent lighting
- Reset file numbering - Reset the file numbering on the memory card
- Time zone and date - Set the Time Zone, Date and Time, Date format, and Daylight Savings mode
- Language - Choose the camera language
- Auto Image rotation - On or Off
- Firmware version - View the current firmware version installed on the camera
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Buy related cameras and accessories from Amazon.com|
|Related Product Description||Price|
|Hitech - USB Cable for Digital SLR Camera CANON EOS 10D / EOS 20D / EOS 20D EF-S 18-55mm Kit / EOS 30D / EOS 30D EF-S 18-55mm Kit / EOS 4D||$1.00|
|Nikon FT-1 F-Mount Adapter||$236.95|
|Nikon EN-EL20 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (repl.)||$62.95|
|See all 10 items|