Playback Screens & Menus
To help you quickly search trough stored files, you can pull up the Index playback option by pressing down on the rocker switch on the back of the camera. Pressing it once will bring up 4 large thumbnails, and as you continue to press the lever down you can display 9 or 72 thumbnails, as well as a calendar function that sorts photos by the date in which they were captured.
Pushing the same lever upward will engage the Magnify playback option. Here you can zoom in on different areas of an image to critically inspect exposure, focus, noise, etc. Once enlarged, you use the Up, Down, Left, and Right directions on the 4-way controller to navigate inside the frame. At the lower left you can see a map that shows you which portion is magnified, indicated by a yellow square.
Playback menu options:
- Delete - Delete files from the memory card
- Slide Show - Start an automated slide show of images and/or movies stored on the SD card; Image type, Select Scene, Frame Interval, Movie Playback time, Audio.
- Rotate tall - Automatic image rotation; On or Off
- DPOF print order - Choose the print settings for direct printing via USB
- Protect - Protect files from deletion
- Rating - Rate images
- D-Lighting - Apply D-Lighting to an image to increases brightness and shadow detail
- Resize - Reduce the dimensions of an image, while keeping the same framing and aspect ratio
- Crop - Crop out a portion of an image and save it as a new file
- Edit Movie - Edit the length of a movie file
After pressing the Ok button to start playback of a movie, you can press Ok again to pause. When you do so, you will see that you get DVR-like controls to rewind, fast-forward, or stop playback. You can also adjust the sound output by using the Index and Magnify control lever.
Here we can see the Edit Movie option. This allows you to save time editing the length of a video file by doing so right in the camera; rather than on your PC later.
The D-Lighting option can increase the brightness of an image in-camera, using Nikon's proprietary algorithms to help increase detail in shadow areas, without adding unwanted noise. You have several levels to choose from, and as you cycle through them you can see a preview; on the left is the original file, on the right is an example of what the edited file will look like.
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Buy related cameras and accessories from Amazon.com|
|Related Product Description||Price|
|Nikon WP-N1 Waterproof Case for Nikon 1 J1 and J2 Cameras||$749.95|
|Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon/Nikkor Lens to Nikon 1-Series Camera, for Nikon V1, V2, J1, J2 Mirrorless Cameras||$129.95|
|Nikon GR-N2000 White Camera Grip||$81.95|
|COSMOS Brown Leather Case Cover Bag For Nikon J1 + Cosmos cable tie||$59.99|
|Nikon CB-N2000SB White Leather Body Case Set||$59.95|