Nikon Coolpix S01 Review
Review posted 11/12/2012
- Incredibly small, discrete and easy to carry
- Touch LCD makes camera control easy
- Large internal memory means no need for external storage media
- Very few and easy to use camera controls
- Electronic VR image stabilization
- Appealing price tag
- Takes nice "people" pictures
- Poor image quality, comparable to a smartphone camera
- Can be difficult to operate for someone with large hands
- Flash is very weak
- No HDMI output for HD movies for an HDTV
- Memory is not expandable
- Battery life is not spectacular and there is no way to swap out for a fresh battery
|The Nikon CoolPix S01 is more of a novelty ultra-compact than a serious camera. While it is very easy to use, its lack of a burst mode and poor image quality has left us wanting more. Read more in our Full Conclusion. |
Nikon's Coolpix S01 is an ultra-compact digital camera that, at 3.1 x 2.1 x 0.7 inches, fits easily in the palm of your hand, costs less than $200, and boasts a number of nice features to make camera navigation and taking pictures easy and fun.
At the top of the feature list, the 2.5-inch touchscreen display features a new graphic user interface (GUI) and menu system. You can also signal the camera to focus and take a picture simply by tapping your photo subject on the screen. Smart Auto Mode will automatically optimize camera settings by selecting one of six pre-programed modes based on current shooting conditions. There are also in-camera retouching capabilities to make every shot look as though it was perfect when you first took it.
As a camera, the S01 offers a 10.1-megapixel CCD image sensor, a 3x wide angle optical zoom, and 720p HD video recording. Not the best of the best, but at this price and size, it's pretty hard to beat.
Nikon Coolpix S01 Features
- 10.1 megapixel CCD image sensor
- 2.5-inch touchscreen display
- 3x wide-angle zoom NIKKOR lens (29-87mm equivalent)
- 720p HD Video Recording
- EXPEED C2 image-processing
- Easy-to-use graphic user interface (GUI)
- Easy Auto Mode
- Six scene modes
- Night Portrait
- Night Landscape
- Built-in Xenon flash
- Ultra-mini pocket-sized camera (3.1 x 2.1 x 0.7 in., 3.4oz)
- Built-in Li-ion rechargeable battery (about 190 shots, non-removable)
- 7.3GB of built in memory, no card slot.
The COOLPIX S01 sports a MSRP of $179.95, and is available in Red, White, Silver and Pink. See our Lowest Price button at the top right of this page to see the current lowest price online.
What's in the box?:
- Coolpix S01 camera body with built-in battery and 7.3GB memory
- AN-CP19 Strap
- UC-E16 USB Cable
- EH-69P AC Adapter/Charger
Additional Product Views
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.