Nikon has announced its latest "all weather" series camera, the Coolpix AW120. This "lifeproof" style camera boasts a waterproof rating down to 59 feet, plus the ability to survive drops of up to 6.6 feet and temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). Add to that a 16-megapixel CMOS image sensor capable of recording HD Video and capturing 6.9 frames-per-second Continuous Shooting (stills). The 5x optical zoom lens is good for 24-120mm (35mm equivalent) and has an f/2.8 maximum aperture. The 3.0-inch OLED display is large and easy to see, even underwater.
Other nice features include an intuitive GUI (graphic user interface) that has Action Control Functions, which allow users to operate the camera with thick gloves. Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to transfer images and videos to smartphone to then share via the web. Built-in GPS is also a must for any adventurer, but the AW120 isn't simply concerned with geo-tagging. The camera also includes maps and an electronic compass to help you find your way around.
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Features
- Waterproof down to 59 feet (18m)
- Shockproof up to 6.6 feet (2m)
- Freezeproof down to 14°F (-10°C)
- 16-megapixel CMOS Image Sensor
- 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- f/2.8 Maximum Aperture
- 24-120mm (35mm equivalent)
- 10x Dynamic Fine Zoom
- Hybrid Vibration Reduction (VR)
- 6.9 frames-per-second Continuous Shooting
- Action Control Function
- For use with gloved hands
- 1080/60i HD Video Recording
- 3.0-inch OLED Display
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Built-in GPS, with
- Optional Accessories
- Chest Harness (for a "unique in-the-action POV")
- Silicone Jackets (for added protection)
The Nikon Coolpix AW120 will be available in March (2014) in Orange, Blue, Black and Camouflage with an MSRP of $349.95.