Click on the Coolpix 5000 to take a QuickTime VR tour
The Coolpix 5000 is Nikon's newest flagship of the Coolpix line with a 5-megapixel CCD imager housed in a compact and durable magnesium body. It's Nikon's first digital camera with the ability to record movies with audio and has both a microphone and speaker built in. Supplied with a 32MB CF card, Nikon EN-EL1 rechargeable lithium battery and charger and NikonView 4 software.
Building on the feature set of the Coolpix 995, the Coolpix 5000 is equipped with a new 3x optical (28-85mm equiv 35mm) Zoom-Nikkor lens with enhanced wideangle and a stepless 4x digital zoom. It accepts most optional Nikkor- Coolpix lenses (using optional step-down rings) and accessories including Fisheye, a new 19mm Wide Angle, and Telephoto converter lenses. A builtin, multi-mode Speedlight with a hotshoe for external Nikon Speedlights, a real 7-bladed lens diaphram for true depth of field control, Nikon's advanced image-processing algorithms provide exceptional color and a new Noise Reduction system for dramatically improved long exposure pictures. The Quick Review function lets you confirming captured images at the press of a button and then return quickly to record mode.
The fully articulating, 270°, 1.8" LCD monitor swivels in any direction for easy subject framing even in crowded situations. Stop action with top shutter speed of 1/4,000 second and 3-frames per second shooting, up to 3 frames or 1.5 frames per second, up to 10 frames. White Balance Bracketing and Noise Reduction Mode for stunning color balance and removal of digital artifacts in 1/4 second or longer exposures. Clear Image Mode gives you highly accurate color, low noise, smooth edged and wide dynamic range images at resolutions of 1280 x 960 and below.
The Coolpix 5000 sports a full range of exposure options; Program AE, Flexible Program, Shutter speed priority, Aperture priority, Full Manual, AE Bracketing of both the exposure value and white balance and Best Shot Selector. Shutter speeds from 8 to 1/4000sec plus Bulb (max. 5 minutes) and aperture settings from F2.8 to F10.3. Drive modes include: Single, Continuous, Ultra High Speed Continuous, VGA Sequence, 16-Shot Multi and QVGA 320x240 Movie with audio. User selectable white balance with Auto, Fine, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent and Speedlight presets as well as a custom manual mode. The ISO sensitivity can be Auto or fixed at ISO 100, 200, 400 or 800. Metering options include 256-element matrix, center-weighted averaging, spot or spot AF that follows the exclusive 5-area Multi AF focusing system.
Coolpix 5000 mated with the compact new Nikon SB-50DX Speedlight, no more brackets or cables are needed to use more powerful flash units thanks to the hotshoe.
Coolpix 5000 Features:
- 5-Megapixel CCD for images up to 2560 x 1920 pixels
- Large-diameter Nikkor 3x zoom (28-85mm) with enhanced wideangle
- Macro focus with AF as close as 2cm
- Fully articulating 270°, 1.8" LCD monitor swivels in any direction
- CompactFlash Type II card slot
- EN-EL1 rechargeable battery and charger included
- Quick Review feature for instant playback
- Programmed Auto (with Shift), Shutter-Priority, Aperture-Priority and Full Manual exposure modes
- Drive modes: Single, Continuous, Ultra High Speed Continuous, VGA Sequence, 16-Shot Multi and QVGA 320x240 Movie with audio @ 15fps up to 60 secs
- Coolpix-exclusive Best Shot Selector exposure mode
- Shutter speeds from 1/4000 sec. to 8 secs (Bulb to 5 minutes!)
- Aperture settings from F2.8 to F10.3 in 10 steps
- 7-bladed lens diaphram for true depth of field control
- Control of color saturation intensity
- Five-area multifocus system, user-selectable and Spot-AF
- 256-segment Matrix Metering, Center-weighted or Spot
- Noise Reduction for long exposures
- Clear Image Mode for highly accurate color, low noise, smooth edged and wide dynamic range images at resolutions of 1280 x 960 and below
- ISO sensitivity of Auto, 100, 200, 400 or 800
- Matrix Auto White Balance plus Fine, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Speedlight and Custom Preset.
- AE Bracketing with white balance and exposure value
- Built-in flash with auto, fill, slow sync, and red-eye reduction.
- Hotshoe for external Nikon Speedlights
- Record images in TIFF-RGB (uncompressed) or JPEG Fine (1/4), Normal (1/8), or Basic (1/16).
- Epson PRINT Image Matching Technology compatible
- High speed USB port for image download
- Compatible with most Nikkor-Coolpix auxilliary lenses
- Compatible with Nikon MC-EU1 wired remote control
Here's most of the Coolpix Year 2001 family
The Coolpix 5000, Coolpix 995 and the Coolpix 885.