Nikon's popular 1 series cameras is getting a new model for 2012, the 1 J2. It features many of the same specifications from last year's J1
, including a 10-megapixel CMOS sensor, a 3.0-inch LCD display, the EXPEED 3 image processor, full manual controls similar to Nikon DSLRs, 1080p HD video recording, and an Advanced Hybrid Autofocus (AF) system with a 73 point AF array. So, if you're happy with your J1, you might not need to upgrade.
But, the J2 has some new bells and whistles for those who don't already own the older brother. There's a new Creative Mode directly accessible from the camera's mode dial, with access to a number of creative filters (see the list below). Further, while both the J2 and J1 can capture high speed burst shots at 10fps in full resolution, the J2 adds AutoFocus to the equation and allows for up to 60 fps at full resolution (just with AutoFocus locked on the first frame). Certainly an upgrade. There's also Motion Snapshot Mode, which "gives the ability to capture a spontaneous moment as a still image and combines it with a slow motion movie vignette." Lastly, another new feature is Smart Photo Selector, which captures multiple exposures and selects the best one to save automatically.
There are also a couple new accessories for this year, a new 11-27mm 2.5x optical zoom lens, as well as an underwater housing that fits both the J1 and J2.
Nikon 1 J2 Features:
- 10.1-megapixel CX-format CMOS sensor
- EXPEED 3 image processing engine
- 3.0-inch, 921,000 dot LCD monitor
- Full 1080p HD Video Recording
- 10 frames per second burst shooting (with AutoFocus on)
- Up to 60 frames per second burst shooting (with AutoFocus locked on the first frame)
- Advanced Hybrid Autofocus (AF) system -- a 73 point AF array
- Creative Mode (accessible from Mode Dial)
- Selective Color
- Night Landscape
- Night Portraits
- Motion Snapshot Mode
- Smart Photo Selector
- Manual Exposure Controls (P, S, A, M) similar to Nikon DSLRs
- Optional WP-N1 underwater housing
- Optional 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens makes the camera pocket-sized
The Nikon 1 J2 will be available in September (2012) with a MSRP of $549.95; this includes the kit 10-30mm lens and your color choice of White, Black, Silver, Pink, Red and Orange. The optional 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens will have a MSRP of $189.95. Lastly, the WP-N1 underwater housing for the 1 J2 (it also fits the 1 J1) will cost around $745.95.
Additional Product Views
(includes optional accessories -- sold separately)