Click to take a QTVR tour of the G400
The high-performance and compact four-megapixel Konica Minolta DiMAGE G400 features 3x optical zoom lens, sleek metal exterior, autofocusing, autoexposure, auto white-balance, and is ready to go at a moment's notice thanks to an impressive 0.7-second startup time.
The DiMAGE G400 features a 4.2 megapixel CCD for sharp, clear pictures as well as a 3x GT Hexanon optical zoom lens incorporating seven elements in six groups to provide sharp, high-contrast images. The lens is designed to minimize flare and unwanted aberrations so that the tonal range and detail in the scene are apparent in the final image. A newly designed signal-processing engine makes this compact camera twice as fast as the DiMAGE G500. In fact, the Konica Minolta DiMAGE G400's rapid startup (0.7 seconds) and fully- automatic picture taking and shut down cycles in only 1.5 seconds. This allows users to take a properly exposed and in focus picture in the blink of an eye.
The DiMAGE G400 has the technology needed to capture any photographic moment. The camera can automatically focus and determine the exposure in approximately 0.2 seconds and the shutter-release time lag is approximately 0.03 seconds. Konica Minolta's Hybrid Adaptive A*IPS (Image Processing Software) system optimizes autofocus, autoexposure, and auto white-balance processing for fast response. The DiMAGE G400 also employs Rapid Autofocus (AF) to ensure sharp images quickly. Rapid AF uses a passive AF sensor to instantly estimate the distance to the subject and the camera's CCD to determine the precise focus point.
Despite its small size, the DiMAGE G400 is packed with features. The Super Continuous mode takes a series of three images at a rate of 2.5 frames per second. Six scene-select modes allow a user to quickly optimize camera operation for specific subjects. Auto bracketing makes a three-frame exposure or focus bracket of a scene to ensure the best results. Exposures can also be set manually if desired. The camera can store and recall two sets of frequently used camera settings.
Advanced amateur photographers will also appreciate the DiMAGE G400's creative image-making features. Color, sharpness, and contrast can be controlled to create the desired image. And the camera's color-balance function allows users to change the relative proportions of the red, green, and blue to shift the overall color of an image.
The DiMAGE G400 has a convenient dual card-slot system for flexible image storage. Both Memory Sticks and Secure Digital (SD) Memory Cards can be used alone or in combination. When both memory card types are used with the camera at the same time, up 640MB of data can be saved depending on the capacity of the cards. This eliminates the worries of running out of memory during important photographic events.
The DiMAGE G400 is not restricted to only taking still photographs. 320 x 240 XR (Extended Recording) movies with audio can also be made. The length of the movie clip is only limited by the storage capacity of the memory cards in use. Likewise, audio can be recorded by itself or attached to a recorded still image.
DiMAGE G400 Features
- 4 Megapixel CCD for images up to 2272 x 1702 pixels.
- 3x (34-101mm) optical zoom lens, 2x digital zoom
- 1.5-inch TFT color LCD, approx. 120,000 pixels
- Very fast 0.7-second startup time
- Rapid 0.2 sec. autofocus, passive AF with CCD video AF
- Motion video w/audio 320x240, limited only by memory
- Attach 15-sec audio memos to still images
- White balance options: Auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent
- Program AE, Aperture priority, Slow Shutter, Manual exposure modes
- Automatic noise reduction for shutter speeds longer than 1/2 sec.
- Scene modes: Portrait, Scenery, Night, Angel, Snap, Sports
- AE Bracketing and +/-2.0EV Exposure Compensation
- 2.5fps Continuous shooting up to 3 frames
- TTL Evaluative and Spot Metering
- Flash with Auto, Red-eye reduction, Fill, Forced off and Night Portrait
- 12x enlarged playback function with scrolling
- Secure Digital and/or Memory Stick flash media
- USB 1.1 connectivity
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery with external charger
- Small, lightweight and durable stainless steel case
The DiMAGE G400 is available now and includes rechargeable NP-600 Li-ion battery and BC-600 charger, 16MB SD card, wrist strap, USB cable, DiMAGE Viewer CD, Instruction Manual CD, warranty and registration cards.