Please excuse the quality of our screen images, Kodak does not include an A/V cable.
The REC. mode screen is very simple on the M580. You have a choice between no information, which will just show the shooting mode icon in the top left corner. With the information on, you will see the same as above, with the number of images remaining and the settings of the quick menu.
Half-pressing the shutter release allows the camera to focus and lock it along with the exposure settings. The M580 features a 5-point AF system, and each point or box will turn green if the camera has achieved focus at that point.
Other than Program mode (shown above), the camera also features a Smart Capture and Scene shooting modes as well. The Smart Capture mode will automatically choose the proper scene mode to go with the situation, but is limited to only a few of the scene modes. For more specific shooting situations you have a complete list of scene modes to choose from: Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Flower, Sunset, Backlight, Candle Light, Children, Manner/Museum, Text, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, Self Portrait, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Panning Shot, High ISO, Sport and Panorama.
Using the 4-way controller left and right allows you to select one of the options in the quick menu above. Up and down then allow you to change the settings. The exposure compensation, self timer and AF are available this way, while the flash controls are on top of the camera.
- Picture Size - 14MP (3:4), 12MP (3:2), 10MP (16:9), 6MP (4:3), 3MP (4:3), 2MP (16:9), 1MP (4:3)
- Exposure Compensation - ±2 in 1/3 increments
- ISO Speed - Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
- Long Time Exposure - Off, 0.5 sec, 1.0 sec, 2.0 sec, 4 sec, 8 sec.
- Self Timer/Burst - Off, 10 sec, 2 sec, 2 shot, Burst
- Color Mode - High Color, Natural Color, Low Color, Black & White, Sepia
- White Balance - Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Open Shade
- Focus Mode - Auto, Macro, Infinity
- Focus / Exposure Zone - Face Priority, Multi-Zone, Center
- AF Control - Continuous AF, Single AF
- Preset Keyword Tag - New Keyword, Delete Keyword, Done, Birthday, Holiday, Wedding
- Sharpness - Sharp, Normal, Soft
The M580's movie recording mode allows the camera to capture videos at resolutions of either 720p HD or standard 640x480 with sound, compressed with the H.264 quick time codec. Kodak does not allow you to use the optical zoom while recording, but you can set it before hand. If you really need to zoom during recording, the digital zoom is available. It is capable of recording movies up to 29 minutes in HD mode or 4GB standard in a single file.