Kodak DCS Pro Back 645 Review
Movable Type Admin
Review posted 10/2/02
The Kodak Professional DCS Pro Back 645 was specifically designed with handheld
photography needs in mind -- it's lightweight (1.7 lbs.) and the same size as a
conventional film magazine. The Pro Back 645 is ideal for commercial fashion, high-
end portraiture, and wedding photography. You'll discover astounding image quality
and resolution with its 16 megapixel (4080 x 4080) sensor that can generate a 12-bit-
per-color image, resulting in a 16-bit linear, 96 MB RGB file.
A large, 2-inch color LCD image review and on-board rechargeable battery makes this
camera back truly portable. And photographer-friendly functions are all inside -- pan,
zoom, spot readings (in stops), focus check, exposure verification with a histogram
feature, and a long exposure (up to 20 secs.) capability. Selectable ISO sensitivity
range from 100 to 400 with a burst rate of 1 frame every 1.63 seconds for up to 5
With Picture Protection you can correct most over- or underexposed images or modify
color balance before the image is acquired. You can also recover an image file that
has been accidentally deleted from the memory card. Kodak's removable IR filter
rejects strong infrared light while it protects your image from color errors and
desaturation without losing ISO speed. For certain types of photography, such as
portraiture, you can mount the optional anti-aliasing filter in place of the IR
filter. The AA filter dramatically reduces scene aliasing and moiré.
The DCS Pro Back 645 is enabled with KODAK PROFESSIONAL Extended Range Imaging
Technology to give you maximum control and flexibility - a full 2 stops of exposure
latitude and extended color space. The convenience of JPEG; the power and flexibility
of RAW files - get the benefits of both in one image file. Images are captured to
standard CF and CF Type II cards such as the IBM Microdrive.
Compatibility: The Pro Back 645M is directly compatible with the Mamiya
645 AF and AFD series cameras. The Pro Back 645C is designed to work
with the Contax 645 series.
And the just announced Pro Back 645H is for Hasselblad H1 cameras.
DCS Pro Back 645 Features:
- Supports medium-format 645 autofocus cameras (645 Mamiya or 645
- 16-megapixel sensor 36mm x 36mm square
- Burst rate 1 frame every 1.63 sec.
- Burst depth is 5 images (256MB internal buffer)
- 1:1 square or horizontal 5:4 or vertical 4:5 aspect ratio
- 8-bit color RGB TIFF yields 48 MB file
- 16-bit color RGB TIFF yields 96 MB file
- 8-bit color CMYK TIFF yields 64 MB file
- 16-bit color CMYK TIFF yields 128 MB file
- In-camera TIFF and JPEG processing
- Finished image size is 4072 x 4072 pixels
- 2-inch color LCD screen for instant review
- Histogram and blinking highlights
- Long exposure capability
- IEEE 1394 FireWire data/tether interface
- NTSC or PAL video output
- AC or Rechargeable battery (included) powered
The Kodak DCS Pro Back 645 is available for around $11,999.
TIPA Award for
Best Digital Professional Product
in Europe 2002-2003
Pro Back 645M with Mamiya 645AFD
The Nikon D100 and the 645AFD for size comparison
(Specifications as represented by the manufacturer)
DCS Pro Back 645 Specifications
- 16-Million pixel CCD imager, 36mm x 36mm square
- 4072 x 4072 pixel finished image size, 19MB DCR raw file or
48MB processed as 8-bit TIFF
- ISO Sensitivity Range: 100 to 400 in 1/3 stop increments
- Bit depth: 36-bit color (12 bits per color) original capture
- Burst rate/depth= 1 frame every 1.63 sec.: 5 images buffered at
1.63 seconds, then 3 at 2.5 seconds before CF Card write.
- 1:1 square or horizontal 5:4 or vertical 4:5 aspect ratio
- Image storage on CF Type I or II cards, Microdrive compatible
- Power: Tethered with AC adapter
Portable with Kodak DCS 645 Battery
(included with charger).
- Two inch color TFT LCD monitor
- IEEE 1394 FireWire data interface
- DRAM on-board: 256 MB
- Composite Video Review: NTSC or PAL
- Size: 4.33in (110mm) x 3.66in (93mm) x 2.5in (63.5mm) (without
- Weight: 1.7lb (.77 kg)
DCS Photo Desk
- DCS Photo Desk helps you to browse and manipulate raw DCS and
DCR images, finished JPEG and TIFF images from DCS Cameras, and
other standard JPEG images. For raw DCS and DCR images, simply move
the slider to bring your exposure back in, click to adjust white
balance, or select contrast with simple icons. Then export your
image data in TIFF or JPEG format, or save your corrections to the
raw file header without disturbing the original raw data.
DCS Camera Manager
- DCS Camera Manager is a camera-control application that connects
a tethered Pro Back 645 to your computer using an IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
cable. With this software, you can control Pro Back 645 settings
and shoot your image. (Note: Camera-specific properties are dependent
on camera model used.) DCS Camera Manager knows where to save your
image - it can be automatically sent to your hard drive upon capture
via your computer or the camera shutter.
DCS Capture Studio
- In DCS Capture Studio, the RGB working space of choice is ProPhoto
RGB. A unique Kodak capability, ProPhoto RGB provides a wider color
- color space transformations to output printer spaces
- other RGB or CMYK color spaces
- display on calibrated systems
- You can do extensive image editing in a 12-bit space. Make color
shifts to improve your image's quality without worrying about out-of-gamut
problems. The bottom line is that ProPhoto RGB will provide you
with maximum flexibility and the best color results.
- Also, with Capture Studio's contact-sheet feature, you can store
a series of images in a folder on your computer, then review and
edit them later.
- You can also customize your images in DCS Capture Studio by using
one of the ten new profiles in Kodak Professional DCS Custom Looks
Software. (Sold Separately)
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Buy related cameras and accessories from Amazon.com
||MaxLLTo Replacement Canon USB Cable IFC-400PCU for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS XSi XT XTi digital camera
||MaxLLTo USB Data SYNC Cable Cord For Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS SD1200 IS SD1300 IS SD1400 IS SD3500 IS SD4000 IS SD4500 IS DIGITAL ELPH camera
||MPF Products Replacement CB-AVC7 AV Audio/Video RCA Cable Cord for Olympus C-25, C-540, C-550, C-560, FE-20, FE-25, FE-26, FE-35, FE-45, FE-46, FE-47, FE-150, FE-160, FE-170, FE-180, FE-190, FE-220, FE-230, FE-240, FE-250, FE-270, FE-280, FE-290, FE-300, FE-310, FE-320, FE-340, FE-350, FE-360, FE-370, FE-3000, FE-3010, FE-4000, FE-4010, FE-5000, FE-5010 & FE-5020 Digital Cameras
||Pro Digital Hard Lens Hood For D3X, D3, D2Xs, D2Hs, D2X, D2H, The Nikon D3, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D700 Digital SLR Cameras Which Have Any Of These (18-135mm, 18-105mm, 18-70mm, 16-85mm) Nikon Lenses
||DJI Damping Rod for Phantom 3 (Part 117)