Fujifilm GFX 50S Preview
Perfect for large format prints and landscape photography, this sensor has a native ISO of 100 and can adapt to multiple aspect ratios, including 4:3 (default), 3:2, 16:9, 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, and 7:6. Fujifilm has carried over the X Processor Pro from the X-Pro2 and X-T2 cameras, bringing along with it Film Simulations, a new Chrome Color Effect, and Full 1080p HD video recording at 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p. All of this has been engineered into a body that weighs about 60% than a medium format DSLR (it's actually closer in heft to a Full Frame DSLR).
Built with professionals and enthusiasts in mind, the GFX 50S is dust and weather resisting, while boasting a 3.69M dot EVF, a 2.36M dot 3.2" tilting touchscreen LCD, a 1.28" LCD sub monitor, a 117-point contrast AutoFocus system, and series of dedicated dials to independently adjust aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
Fujifilm GFX 50S Key Features:
- 51.4MP Medium Format 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor
- X-Processor Pro imaging processor
- Detachable EVF
- Adjustable Aspect Ratios
- 4:3 (default), 3:2, 16:9, 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6
- Freezeproof down to 14 degrees F (-10 degrees C)
- Dust resistant
- Full HD Movie Recording
- 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p 36Mbps
- FUJIFILM G Mount
- Dual SD Memory Card Slots (UHS-11 recommended)
- 3 Recording Methods
- Sequential (shooting in order)
- Backup (record same data on dual cards)
- Sorting (record RAW and JPEG on separate cards)
- 3 File Formats
- JPEG (SUPER FINE, FINE, NORMAL)
- RAW (uncompressed, compressed)
- NP-T125 high capacity battery (400 shots with Auto Power Save ON)
- Weight: 43oz (825g)
GF Lenses (G Mount)
In addition to the GFX 50S, Fujifilm is simultaneously launching a new series of ultra-high resolution FUJINON GF lenses. Given the architecture of a mirrorless camera system, Fujifilm's G Mount has a 26.7mm flange back distance, which reduces back focus and prevents vignetting for edge-to-edge sharpness. Even more exciting, the GF Lenses will support image sensors of "over 100MP". Expect six lenses to drop in 2017 -- three at body launch, three sometime later this year.
The initial lenses will be:
- GF63mmF2.8 R WR (50mm equivalent): $1,499.95
- GF32-64mmF4 R LM WR (25-51mm equivalent): $2,299.95 -- pictured
- GF120mmF4 Macro R LM OIS WR (95mm equivalent): $2,699.95
The FUJIFILM GFX 50S Medium Format Camera Body will be available Late February (2017) for $6,499.95. The first three GF lenses will launch as well, followed by three more GF lenses -- a 110mm F2, 23mm F4, and 45mm F2.8 -- later this year.
- EVF Tilt Adapter (EVF-TL1)
- Vertical Battery Grip (BF-GFX1) -- pictured
- H Mount Adapter G
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.