Playback Screens & Menus
When using Playback mode with the SX500, you can control what's shown on the screen by pressing the Disp button on the camera's back panel. One display mode shows no data on the screen. The second display mode shows the file name in the upper right corner, while the date and time the image was recorded is shown in the lower right. Press the Disp button a third time and you'll see some detailed data about the image along the right side of the screen, including the file name, shooting mode, shutter speed, ISO setting, aperture, exposure setting, white balance setting, file size, image resolution, date and time. A histogram is displayed in the lower right portion of the screen in this display mode.
Pressing Disp a fourth time allows you to zoom in to a portion of the overall image. This can be helpful in ensuring you have a sharp focus. The overall image will appear in the upper left of the screen while the magnified portion is in the lower right. Use the zoom ring to increase the magnification. Press the Disp button again to return to the first display mode.
Canon included an Index feature with its playback function with the PowerShot SX500 IS. This feature allows you to scroll through your stored images more quickly. With an image on the screen, press the zoom ring to the left, and the camera will show a 2x2 grid of images. It then displays a 3x3, 6x6, and 10x10 grid of images as you press the zoom ring to the left again. Press the zoom ring back to the right to return to a smaller grid.
When you have a single image highlighted by using the four-way button, press the Func/Set button to bring the image to the full screen.
You can delete the image currently stored on the screen by pressing the trash can icon button (also the exposure value button). You'll have to verify your choice.
You can rotate any image displayed on the screen, too. Just use the playback menu, which we'll highlight in a little bit, to see all of your selections.
As with still images, you can see information about your movies when working in the SX500's playback mode by pressing the Disp button. The first movie display mode shows no data on the screen. The second display mode will show the file name in the upper right corner and the date and time the movie was recorded in the lower right corner. In the third display mode, you'll see information about the recorded movie along the right side, including the file name, resolution, frame rate, exposure value, white balance setting, file size, recording time, and the date and time of the recording. A histogram appears in the lower left corner.
To play your movies on the SX500's LCD screen, press the Func/Set button with the movie displayed in playback mode. You'll see video playback controls appear along the bottom of the screen. Use the four-way spinner dial to scroll through the icons. Highlight the Play icon and press the Func/Set button again to start playing back the movie.
The movie playback icons (from left to right) are: Exit, Play, Slow Motion, Skip Backward, Previous Frame, Next Frame, Skip Forward, and Edit.
The Edit function gives you access to a couple of extra video editing features that are built into the SX500 IS, including Cut Beginning and Cut End. With these editing features, you can use the four-way button to cut the beginning or ending of the movie and save it under another file name.
While in Playback mode, press the Menu button to gain access to the camera's control menus. The Playback menu options include:
- Smart Shuffle
- Slideshow - Repeat (On, Off), Play Time (3-30 seconds), Effect (Off, Fade, Bubble, Cross, Letterbox, Scroll, Slide)
- Erase - Select, Select Range, Select All Images
- Protect - Select, Select Range, Select All Images
- Rotate - Change the orientation of your image by 90° at a time
- Favorites - Tag an image or movie clip as a favorite, protecting it from deletion
- My Category - Select (People, Scenery, Events, Category 1, Category 2, Category 3, To Do), Select Range
- Photobook Set-Up - Select images with which to create a photobook, using Canon's software (Select, Select Range, Select All Images)
- i-Contrast - Retain shadow detail in high contrast scenes
- Red-Eye Correction - Removes redness from the eyes of your subjects
- Cropping - Crop an image to a smaller size
- Resize - Save a smaller copy of a photograph
- My Colors - Apply various color effects
- Scroll Display - Displays image before and after current image (On, Off)
- Auto Rotate - Rotates Images to match the camera orientation (On, Off)
- Resume - Select the image that will be seen when you turn the camera to playback mode (Last Seen, Last Shot)
- Transition - Select a transition for browsing your photos (Fade, Scroll, Slide, Off)
By scrolling to the middle tab of the Playback menu, you can gain access to the camera's DPOF Print menu. You can use PictBridge with Canon SELPHY and Canon PIXMA printers through this menu to print directly from the SX500 IS.
- Print - Choose the images to print
- Select Images & Qty - Specify how many prints to make of each image
- Select Range - Pick a series of images to print
- Select All Images - Print one copy of each image
- Clear All Selections - Remove the Print selection from all images
- Print Settings - Select Print Type (Standard, Index, Both); Date (On, Off); File No. (On, Off); Clear DPOF Data (On, Off)
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
A sturdy and convenient camera bag with tough interior padding that was specifically designed to fully protect your Digital Cameras anywhere you go!
DURAGADGET Utra-fine anti-static Blower brush / lens cleaner for Canon EOS 300D / 350D / 400D / 40D / 30D / 5D / 1000D / 450D / SX1 / 500D / 50D / SX1 / SX10 / SX110 / SX120 / 7D / SX10 / SX110 / SX120 / 7D / 1D / 450D / Digital Rebel XSi / 50D / EOS 1000D / 30D / 1000D / 500D / 5D / 7D / 450D / 1D / 50D / 5D Mark II / PowerShot G10 / 40D
New professional blower brush. Essential dust removal tool for any serious photographer. Great for cleaning lenses and camera components.
Make sure you never miss a once-in-a-lifetime moment with an uncharged battery.
JYC 5M Shutter Release SR-C1 for CANON G10 G11 G12 G15 1000D(XS) 650D(T4i) 600D(T3i) 550D(T2i) 500D(T1i) 450D(XSi) 400D(XTi) 350D(XT) G15 G1X SX50 as RS60-E3
Introduction 100% compatible with CANON CS-205 Shutter Release. The release button reacts fast and fine.