Playback Screens & Menus
With the PowerShot SX260 HS, you're going to find that the general playback options are pretty similar to other point and shoot Canon cameras. When you press the Playback button, you'll see the images stored on your memory card. Pressing the DISP button will allow you to toggle through options for viewing the images, including an image with no data, with basic data, and with detailed data, including the settings at which the image was shot and a histogram.
Pressing the DISP button a fourth time causes an image to appear on the LCD screen through which you can magnify a small portion of the image, just to make sure it's in sharp focus. Press the zoom ring to the right to activate the magnification, and use the four-way controller to adjust the location where the zoom is occurring.
You also can activate the Magnify feature in the full screen by pressing the zoom ring to the right when any playback image is on the screen. A small map will appear in white in the lower right corner of the screen, showing you which aspect of the image is being magnified in up to 10 steps.
Like other Canon PowerShot cameras, you can make use of the Index feature on the SX260 to scroll quickly through the images stored on your memory card. With a single image on the screen, press the zoom ring to the left repeatedly to call up a 2x2, 3x3, 6x6, and 10x10 grid of images (totaling 4, 9, 36, and 100 images). Then use the four-way controller to move through the grid to find the image you want. Press the FUNC/SET button to bring that single image up to the screen.
While using the SX260's Playback function, you have the option of deleting photos as well as protecting them. To delete a photo that's currently displayed on the screen, press the bottom portion of the four-way controller. When asked if you want to Erase, highlight Erase and press the FUNC/SET button.
To help to make sure that you don't inadvertently delete an especially important photo, you can mark it as a Favorite. With an image on the screen, press the FUNC/SET button. With the Star icon highlighted on the left side of the screen, press the FUNC/SET button again to "tag" the photo as a Favorite. You can repeat the process to remove the Favorite tag. A Favorite tag won't completely prevent deletion, but you can at least check for any Favorites before deleting images. Use the Protect command to prevent deletions of tagged photos.
You can take a look at the basic information for each of your movies that are stored on the memory card, just as you do with still images. With the movie on the screen in Playback mode with the SX260 HS, press the DISP button to toggle through the data. You'll see an image with no data about how the movie was shot, an image with limited data, and an image with detailed data, including a histogram.
You have an easy option for playing your video clips on the SX260's LCD screen. First, with a movie on the screen in Playback mode, press the FUNC/SET button, and you'll see the play/triangle icon highlighted in orange along the left side of the screen. Press FUNC/SET again to start the movie. Once the movie has started playing, pressing the FUNC/SET button again will cause DVD-like control buttons to appear on the screen, through which you can control the playback. The scissors icon allows you to edit the clip, saving small portions of it.
The triangle icon is part of the Playback functions menu, which consists of several icons you can access to gain shortcut access to various Playback functions. With any image on the screen in Playback mode, you can press the FUNC/SET button to call up these Playback functions, which include:
- Rotate - Rotate the current image
- Print List - Add the current image to print list
- Protect - Protect the current image from being erased
- Favorites - Tag the current image as favorite
- Play Movie - Starts a movie
- Movie Digest Playback - Plays movies made with Movie Digest
- Smart Shuffle - Displays similar images from four possibilities
- Image Search - Apply various search filters, including Favorites, Date Shot, Category
- Slideshow - Choose a transition effect and start a slideshow
- My Category - Categorize the current image
The main Playback menu has quite a few options that are commonly found on Canon PowerShot cameras, including the SX260. When you're in Playback mode, press the Menu button to call up this menu. The options include:
- Slideshow - Starts the slideshow of the images on the memory card; also offers control commands, Repeat (On, Off), Play Time (3-30 seconds), Effect (Off or six different effects between images)
- Erase - Erase images from the memory card that you can select
- Protect - Protect image from being deleted that you can select
- Rotate - Change the orientation of your image by 90° at a time
- Favorites - Tag an image or movie clip as a favorite
- My Category - Sorts images by category (People, Scenery, Events, Category 1, Category 2, Category 3, To Do)
- Photobook Set-Up - Select images with which to create a photobook, using Canon's software
- i-Contrast - Retain shadow detail in high contrast scenes
- Red-Eye Correction - Removes redness from the eyes of your subjects
- Trimming - Trim an image to a specified area
- Resize - Save a smaller copy of a photograph
- My Colors - Apply various color effects
- Face ID Info - Identify people in images
- Scroll Display - Displays image before and after current image (On, Off)
- Group Images - Create groups of high-speed burst images (On, Off)
- Auto Rotate - Rotates Images to match the camera orientation (On, Off)
- Resume - Select the image that will be seen when you turn the camera to playback mode (Last Seen, Last Shot)
- Transition - Select a transition for browsing your photos (Fade, Scroll, Slide, Off)
Finally, the SX260's DPOF Print menu in the Playback function gives you several options for printing directly from the camera, including through your USB cable to PictBridge, Canon SELPHY, and Canon PIXMA printers. The Print menu options for this PowerShot model include:
- Print - Choose the images to print
- Select Images & Qty - Specify how many prints to make of each image
- Select Range - Pick a series of images to print
- Select All Images - Print one copy of each image
- Clear All Selections - Remove the Print selection from all images
- Print Settings - Select Print Type (Standard, Index, Both); Date (On, Off); File No. (On, Off); Clear DPOF Data (On, Off)
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Screen Protector Screen Only invisibleSHIELD|
In Stock: Yes