PowerShot SX230 HS
PowerShot SX230 HS
Record Screens & Menus
Half-pressing the shutter release will display the AF target(s). When it turns green the camera is in focus and is ready to take the picture, and when No AF box is displayed, this indicates that the camera is unable to focus. When AF servo is enabled, the AF "box" will be blue when it has locked on a moving target. Also displayed in the screen shot above is the camera Mode (AUTO), along with the ISO (1600), shutter speed (1/40), and aperture (F4.0).
The Mode Dial on the SX230 HS has multiple selections: Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Program, Auto, Easy, Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Kids & Pets, Smart Shutter, Fish-eye Effect, and Standard Movie Modes.
For those who want even more control over the exposure process, the SX230 offers Aperture priority, Shutter speed priority, and full Manual modes, that allow you to select your own aperture and shutter speeds.
Here is the "Easy" exposure mode on the SX230. If Auto is not simple enough, the Easy mode will be perfect. This is a 99.9% automatic exposure mode, with the only option available is control of the Flash.
Scene Mode Selections:
- Smart Shutter - Uses face detection to take photos automatically
- High-speed Bursts - Shoots continuously to capture moving subjects
- Best Image Selection - selects the best shot from a sequence of images
- Handheld Night Scene - Shoots great night scenes without a tripod
- Low Light - Get a clear shot even in low light situations
- Beach - Shoot natural scenes in strong sunlight
- Underwater - Use a waterproof case to shoot underwater
- Foliage - Shoot foliage in vivid colors
- Snow - shoot natural looking images in the snow
- Fireworks - shoot fireworks in vivid color
- Stitch Assist 1 & 2 - Helps create panoramic images
Program FUNC. Menu:
- Light Metering - Evaluate, Center Weighted Avg., Spot
- My Colors - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B&W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- White Balance - Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater, and Custom
- ISO Selection - Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Flash output comp. - +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Drive Mode - Single Shot, Continuous, Continuous Shooting AF
- Still Image Aspect Ratio - 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1
- Recording Pixels - L (12M, 4000x3000), M1 (6M, 2816x2112), M2 (2M, 1600x1200), S (0.3M, 640x480),
- Compression - Fine, Normal
- Movie quality - 1920x1080(full HD), 1280x720(HD), 640x480, or 320x240 (full HD @24fps, all others @ 30fps)
The SX230 HS also has shortcuts to frequently used options. The 4-way pad is used to access these settings: up is the exposure compensation, down is the self-timer, left is the focus mode selector, and right is the flash mode options.
This is a screen shot displaying a video being recorded. The SX230
can capture video at full HD1920x1080, HD1280x720, standard 640x480 and 320x240
resolutions, with sound. The Full HD videos shoot at 24fps, and the other three shoot at
30 frames per second. Canon still uses the Movie record button on the back of the camera, so you can record a video at
any time. Digital zoom can be used while recording, however this may degrade the quality of the video. All video files are saved in QuickTime (.MOV) format and clip
length is limited to a file size of 4GB.
- AF Frame - Face Detect, Center, Tracking AF
- AF Frame Size - Normal, Small
- Digital Zoom - Standard, Off,1.5x, 2.0x
- AF-Point Zoom - On, Off
- Servo AF - On, Off
- Continuous AF - On, Off
- AF-Assist Beam - On, Off
- MF-Point Zoom - On, Off
- Safety MF - On, Off
- Flash Settings - Flash Exp. Comp, Red Eye Correction, Red Eye Lamp, Safety FE
- i-Contrast - Auto, Off
- Wind Filter - On or Off
- Review - Off, 2-10 second, Hold
- Review Info - Off, Detailed, Focus Check
- Blink Detection - On, Off
- Grid Lines - On or Off
- IS Mode - Continuous, Shoot Only, Panning, Off
- Date Stamp - Off, Date, Date & Time
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.