Powershot SX20 IS
Powershot SX20 IS
Record Screens & Menus
(Note: All screens shown can be displayed on the LCD or EVF)
Auto mode allows anyone, regardless of expertise, to use the SX20 like a simple point-n-shoot camera. The camera will automatically select the shutter speed and aperture allowing you to concentrate on framing your subject, not changing camera settings. FUNCtion options are limited to changing movie size and image quality; no other settings are possible.
Note, you can also see both the Movie and Still quality icons lined up across the top. Like the SX10 IS, you can easily capture video while in still image record mode by pressing the Movie mode Record button on the back. While recording video, you can also press the still image shutter release to capture a photo, without stopping the movie (you will notice a brief interruption in the video during playback, accompanied buy the sound of the shutter).
You can record video clips
with stereo audio at standard resolutions of 640x480 or 320x240, or shoot 720p HD video, all with a
frame rate of 30fps. The optical zoom may be used while recording,
something that it not very common on super-zoom models. The length of a
movie is limited by the amount of available memory, up to a maximum
clip size of 4GB or 60 minutes. These clips are captured in QuickTime
format and saved as .MOV files.
In Program AE mode, like Auto, the camera selects both the shutter speed and aperture values for correct exposure, however now you have access to a multitude of camera settings like ISO speed, White balance, metering, My colors, etc.
When shutter release is half-pressed, you will see the center AF point (rectangle) turns Green if focus was successful or Red if it fails. Pressing the AF Point selection button on the back will allow you to move the active AF point around as well as change the size (Normal or Small) and enable Face detection. Other icons indicate that camera shake is possible at this shutter speed, metering, shutter speed, aperture value, exposure compensation, and the ISO value selected.
In Tv (Shutter-speed priority) mode you select the shutter speed (from 1/3200 to 15 seconds) and the camera automatically selects the proper aperture value. Faster shutter speeds will 'freeze' fast-moving subjects, slower speeds will let you pan with a fast-moving object and blur the background, or hold the camera steady and give moving objects that 'motion blur' look.
In Av (Aperture priority AE) mode you select the aperture value (from F2.8 to F8.0) and the camera will automatically select the proper shutter speed. Selecting the aperture allows you to control depth of field (focus range), smaller numbers yield less depth of field, larger numbers yield more.
Program AE, Tv, Av and Manual mode Function options:
- White Balance - Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, and Custom one-push WB set
- My Colors - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B&W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Bracketing - Off, AE bracketing, Focus bracketing
- Flash intensity - Adjusts flash power ±2 EV in 1/3 EV steps
- Metering - Evaluative, Center Weighted Averaging, Spot
- Drive Mode - Single, Continuous, Continuous Shooting AF
- Movie Quality - Select 1280x720, 640x480 or 320x240 (all @ 30fps)
- Image Size/Quality - Large 3648x2736, Medium1 2816x2112, Medium2 2272x1704,, Medium3/Date Stamp 1600x1200, Small 640x480, Wide 3648x2048; Fine or Normal JPEG compression
In Manual mode you have complete control, selecting both the shutter speed and the aperture values. To help you 'dial in' the exposure, these is an exposure scale that is displayed on the right. When changing either the shutter speed or aperture, another small scale is shown directly above the values. All Menu options and camera settings are the same as Program, Tv, Av, etc.
Program AE, Tv, Av and Manual mode MENU options:
- AF Frame - FlexiZone or Face Detect
- Digital Zoom - Off, 1.5x, 2.0x, Standard
- AF-Point Zoom - On or Off
- Servo AF - On or Off
- Continuous AF - On or Off
- AF Assist Beam - On or Off
- MF-Point Zoom - On = Enlarge focus point during manual focus
- Safety MF - On or Off
- Flash Control - Adjust Flash Exposure comp., Shutter Sync., Slow Synchro, Red-Eye Corr./Lamp and Safety FE
- i-Contrast - Off or Auto
- Spot AE Point - Center or AF point
- Movie Audio - Adjust the Mic Level (Auto or Manual), and enable/disable a Wind noise filter
- Review - Off, Hold or 2 - 10 secs
- Review Info - Off, Detailed or Focus Check
- Blink Detection - On or Off
- Custom Display - Customize the camera's display (Shooting info, Grid lines, 3:2 Guide, Histogram
- Reverse Display - Flips the live image on the LCD when it is rotated (On or Off)
- IS Mode - Continuous, Shoot only, Panning, Off
- Date Stamp - Off, Date or Date&Time
- Set Shortcut Button - Choose the function of the Shortcut button
- Save Settings - Saves current settings to Custom on the mode dial
The SX20 IS offers 16 pre-programmed Scene modes. Portrait, Landscape, Night portrait, Sports, and Stitch Assist are located on the mode dial, while the rest are found under the SCN (Scene) position. Here you have access to Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Aquarium, Night Scene, Indoor, ISO 3200, Color Accent, and Color Swap. These modes are pre-programmed to give you the best possible pictures for particular shooting situations.
The My Menu sub-menu allows you to create your own customized Shooting or 'Record' menu with the settings you choose.
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.