Powershot SD980 IS
Powershot SD980 IS
Record Screens & Menus
By Josh Fate
Program AE exposure mode is like Auto in that the camera selects both the shutter speed and aperture for a correct exposure. This mode does give you access to a multitude of Function and Menu options and color effects.The icons on the left here indicate ISO speed is Auto and auto flash. Your scene modes are also selected in the "Program" shooting mode. Portrait mode is shown above.
When you half-press the shutter you will see which of the nine AF points (green rectangles) were used for the focus lock. You can also see the shutter speed, metering, aperture and ISO values that were selected for by the camera for this shot.
While in shooting mode, the 4-way controller offers you several shortcuts to useful functions. Pressing it up gives you the self-timer options, right shows you the flash options, left the focus options and down changes the amount of information that is shown on the screen. With the new touch screen, any of these functions can be selected by using the 4-way controller to highlight the option you want or you can just touch the option on the screen to select it.
Pressing the FUNC./SET button in the middle of the 4-way controller brings up a quick menu of most of the camera's record settings. This is a quick and easy way to change them.
Func. Menu Options:
- Light Metering - Multi, Center, Spot
- My Colors - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B&W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- White Balance - Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
- ISO - Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
- Scene Mode - Listed below
- Exposure Compensation - ±2 in 1/3 increments
- Drive Mode - Single or Continuous
- Recording Pixels - L (4000x3000), M1 (3264x2448), M2 (2592x1944), M3 (1600x1200), S (640x480), Widescreen (4000x2248)
- Compression - Fine, Standard
Scene Modes: Program, Portrait, Night Snapshot, Kids & Pets, Indoor, Sunset, Creative Light Effect, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Beach, Aquarium, Foliage, Snow, ISO 3200, Digital Macro, Color Accent, Color Swap, Stitch Assist (not pictured).
- AF Frame - Center, Face AiAF
- A Frame Size - Normal, Small
- Digital Zoom - Standard, Off,1.5x, 2.0x
- AF-Point Zoom - On or Off
- Servo AF - On or Off
- AF-Assist Beam - On or Off
- Flash Settings - Red Eye Correction, Red Eye Lamp
- i-Contrast - Off, Auto
- Review - Off, 2-10 second, Hold
- Review Info - Off, Detailed, Focus Check
- Blink Detection - On or Off
- Display Overlay - Off, Grid Lines, 3:2 guide, Both
- IS Mode - Continuous, Shoot Only, Panning, Off
- Date Stamp - Off, Date, Date & Time
- Vert. Shutter - On or Off
When using the Standard Movie mode, you can capture video clips at the standard 640x480 30fps (or LP) or 320x240 30fps or the 1280x720 HD movie mode. The optical zoom may not be used during recording, but can be preset before hand. Movie clips are recorded in: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Monaural)) .Both the video and audio portion of movies can be replayed on the camera thanks to the built-in speaker. Full audio-video playback is also possible when connected to a TV monitor or a compatible PC after downloading. HDMI is also built into the camera to allow you to hook the camera directly up to any HDTV.
- Digital Zoom - Off, Standard
- AF-assist Beam - On or Off
- Disp. Overlay - Off, Grid Lines
- IS Mode - Continuous, Off
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.