Record Screens & Menus
Here you can see the Program mode screen. Like in Auto mode, the camera still chooses the exposure settings (shutter speed and aperture). However, now you have access to a multitude of camera settings like ISO speed, white balance, metering, my colors, etc.
When you half-press the shutter release, you will see the AF point(s) turn Green if focus was successful or Red if it fails. Other icons indicate that the flash is charged and will fire, metering mode, shutter speed and aperture values, exposure compensation, and the ISO value selected.
Shutter-speed priority (aka Time value) mode allows you to select the shutter speed (from 1/1600 to 15 seconds) and the camera automatically selects the proper aperture value. Faster shutter speeds will 'freeze' fast-moving subjects, while slower speeds will let you pan with a fast-moving object and blur the background, or show the flow of moving water. To adjust the shutter speed, you simply rotate the control ring mounted around the lens, and a small scale will appear along the bottom of the screen (not shown).
The exact opposite of Tv mode, in Aperture priority (aka Aperture value) mode you select the aperture value (from F2.0 to F8.0), and the camera will automatically select the proper shutter speed. Selecting the aperture allows you to control depth of field (focus range), smaller numbers yield less depth of field, larger numbers yield more. Just like in Tv mode, you rotate the control wheel on the front to change the aperture setting.
Program AE, Tv, Av and Manual mode Function options:
- ISO - Auto, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800,1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500 or 3200
- White Balance
- Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H,
Flash, Underwater (with optional housing) and Custom one-push WB set; pressing the DISP. button or rotating the control ring on the front of the cmaera allows you to manual adjust each setting
- My Colors - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B&W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Bracketing - Off, AE bracketing, Focus bracketing
- Flash intensity - Adjusts flash power ±2 EV in 1/3 EV steps
- Metering - Evaluative, Center Wieghted average, Spot
- Drive Mode - Single, Continuous, Continuous Shooting AF
- Image Size/Quality - Large 3648x2736, Medium1 2816x2112, Medium2 2272x1704,, Medium3/Date Stamp 1600x1200, Small 640x480, Wide 3648x2048, RAW (3648x2736); Fine or Normal JPEG compressio. RAW-JPEG is avaiable via the main record menu.
Use Manual mode to gain complete control over the S90. Now you select both the shutter speed and the aperture values. To help you 'dial in' the exposure, these is an exposure scale that is displayed on the right. When changing either the shutter speed or aperture, another small scale is shown directly above the values (not shown). You rotate the front control ring to adjust the aperture, and the control wheel on the back to set the shutter speed.
Program AE, Tv, Av and Manual mode MENU options:
- AF Frame - FlexiZone or Center
- AF Frame Size - Normal or Small
- Digital Zoom - Off, 1.4x, 2.3x, Standard
- AF-Point Zoom - On or Off
- Servo AF - On or Off
- Continuous AF - On or Off
- AF Assist Beam - On or Off
- MF-Point Zoom - On = Enlarge focus point during manual focus
- Safety MF - On or Off
- Flash Control - Adjust Flash Exposure comp., Shutter Sync., Slow Synchro, Red-Eye Corr./Lamp and Safety FE
- i-Contrast - Off or Auto
- Spot AE Point - Center or AF point
- Review - Off, Hold or 2 - 10 secs
- Review Info - Off, Detailed or Focus Check
- Blink Detection - On or Off
- Custom Display - Customize the camera's display (Shooting info, Grid lines, 3:2 Guide, Histogram
- IS Mode - Continuous, Shoot only, Panning, Off
- Date Stamp - Off, Date or Date&Time
- Record RAW+L/Fine JPEG - On or Off
- Set Shortcut Button - Choose the function of the Shortcut button
- Save Settings - Saves current settings to Custom 1 or 2 on the mode dial
You can record video clips with audio at standard resolutions of 640x480 or 320x240, with a frame rate of 30fps. The optical zoom may not be used while recording, so you will want to preset the zoom to the desired focal length before recording starts. The length of a movie is limited by the amount of available memory, up to a maximum clip size of 4GB or 60 minutes. These clips are captured in QuickTime format and saved as .MOV files.
The S90 IS offers 18 pre-programmed Scene modes, like Nostalgic shown above. This mode allows you to rotate the control ring on the front of the camera to "age" the look of your photo.
The available scene modes are: Low Light, Portrait, Landscape, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Aquarium, Night Scene, Indoor, Color Accent, Color Swap, Kids & Pets, Underwater, Nostalgic, Night Snapshot, and Stitch Assist. These modes are set up to give you the best possible pictures for specific shooting situations.
Here you can see the new Low Light scene mode, which allows the S90 to capture photos using sensitivity settings as high as ISO 12,800! This is accomplished by the camera lowering the image size down to 2.5-megapixels (1824x1368), which still offers plenty of resolution for a nice 4x6-inch print.
The My Menu sub-menu allows you to create your own customized Shooting or 'Record' menu with the settings you choose.
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Buy related cameras and accessories from Amazon.com|
|Related Product Description||Price|
|4200mAh BN-V428 BNV428 Battery for JVC GR-DVL107EK GR-DVL107U||$49.96|
|Delkin Pop-up Shade Fits 1.8LCD Block Glare & Protect LCD Stick||$23.99|
|NA Video / Digital Camera Charger Charger For Casio EX-Z75||$16.45|
|Gradual Gradient Sunset Plexiglas Filter For Cokin P Series||$0.25|
|Adapter Ring 58mm for Cokin P Series Filter Holder And 58mm Lenses||$0.01|