Review posted 11/15/2012
- Smart Auto shooting mode is accurate and easy in most situations
- Dedicated Video Capture Button is always ready to record
- f/2.0 lens is fantastic in low-light
- Outstanding overall image quality
- Intelligent IS is ready for any shooting situation
- 3.0-inch Capacitive touch LCD is bright and very responsive
- Good shooting performance
- Excellent Flash Range
- Excellent video recording quality
- Decent Battery Life
- Some inaccuracy with indoor white balance
- ISO 12,800 is unacceptable
- Special shooting modes are no alternative to taking the time to capture them correctly
- No audio input to match the video quality
|The Canon PowerShot S110 is a great choice for anyone that wants a compact camera with the best available image quality. It is also perfect for a household with a experienced and non-experienced photographers, as it is very easy to use while providing full manual controls for maximum creativity. Read more in our Full Conclusion. |
Editor's Note: During 2001, Canon released the Canon PowerShot S110 Digital ELPH camera. The 2012 model of the Canon PowerShot S110 is the follow-up model to 2011's Canon PowerShot S100 and 2010's Canon PowerShot S95.
Following up on the popularity of the S100, Canon has announced the upgraded PowerShot S110 to improve on the touchscreen quality as well as add Wi-Fi capabilities. Similar to the S100, the PowerShot S110 offers a 24mm wide-angle lens with 5x optical zoom as well as the DIGIC 5 image processor. The camera also utilizes the same 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor and records video in 1080p at 24fps as well as 720p at 30fps. The camera is also slightly more compact than the S100, but weighs the same.
However, the 3.0-inch LCD screen is now a capacitive touch panel and the pixel density has been upgraded from 260k pixels to 461k pixels. In addition, low-light image quality should be improved with with a maximum ISO speed of 12800 instead of 6400 in the S110. If you recall the Canon PowerShot S95, it also had a maximum ISO speed of 12800 and was extremely popular for low-light photography enthusiasts looking for a compact model to slip in a pocket. Canon has also expanded the number of scenes in the Smart Auto feature from 32 to 58.
The new Wi-Fi capabilities of the S110 allow users to send images and video directly to social networking sites like Facebook. In addition, the new Wi-Fi feature allows users to send media to Android or iOS smartphones, a PC or to other PowerShot cameras. Images can also be sent to a Wi-Fi enabled printer for quick printing of new photographs.
Canon PowerShot S110 Feature Set:
- 12.1 megapixel CMOS
- 3.0" Touchscreen LCD (461k pixels)
- 5x Wide Angle Optical Zoom (24-120mm)
- Fast f/2.0 maximum aperture at wide angle
- DIGIC 5 image processor
- Full 1080p HD video capture at 24 fps (720p at 30fps)
- Built-in GPS via mobile device connection
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sending photos to devices and social networks
- High-speed Burst HQ
- Smart Auto with 58 Scenes
- Intelligent IS
- Low-light performance up to ISO 12800
- HDMI out
- Shoots in RAW
- Li-ion battery pack (identical to the S100)
- Memory card slot accepts SD/SDHC/SDXC type memory cards
The Canon PowerShot S110 is available in both black and white with a MSRP of $449.99 USD. Click our lowest price button at the top right for the most current online pricing.
What's in the box?:
- PowerShot S110 Digital Camera (black shown)
- Battery Pack NB-5L
- Battery Charger CB-2LX
- Wrist Strap WS-DC11
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Digital Camera Solution CD
You can check out the price of this camera on Adorama by clicking here.