A typical AUTO record screen display. Icons indicate "AUTO" record mode,
mode, single frame drive mode, matrix metering, Fine Large image, 1/60 shutter
speed, F2.2 aperture and 425 pictures remaining at current image quality setting.
The green square (focus point) in the center indicates an autofocus lock, if the AF
fails to lock it turns yellow.
In modes other than AUTO you press the FUNC button to access camera settings like
ISO speed (Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400), Color Effect, Bracketing, Flash Compensation,
Image Size (Large 2592x1944, Medium1 1600x1200, Medium2 1024x768, Small 640x480, RAW
2592x1944) and Quality (Superfine, Fine, Normal). More on the other options below.
LCD display in Manual Focus (MF) mode. Focus distance is indicated on the
right with a sliding scale and is adjusted by rotating the main Dial. The central
portion of the screen shows a 2X magnification of the focus point area.
When in PAMS modes you can press the SET button and then use the 4-way selector to
choose the desired focus point, by default it uses the center point. There are
many, many available focus points to chose from.
Pressing the 4-way controller UP lets you set a desired Exposure Compensation value.
This is used to override the auto exposure system with a +/-
2EV adjustment in 1/3EV steps.
Pressing the 4-way selector DOWN gives you access to the white balance
options: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent,
Fluorescent 2, Flash, Custom1 or Custom2.
Available Color Effects are: Vivid, Neutral, Low Sharpening, Sepia, B&W
or Custom Effect which gives you access to Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation
with settings for Normal, Minus or Plus.
The Bracketing Menu gives you access to:
Auto Exposure Bracketing - In this mode, the camera automatically changes
the exposure within a set range to take three shots after you press the shutter
button once. You can adjust AEB settings in 1/3EV steps within the range of
-2EV to +2EV of the standard exposure setting. AEB setting can be combined
with exposure compensation settings.
Focus Bracketing - A totally new feature to any digicam. Camera captures three
frames and makes focal distance change between each. The amount of difference
is settable using the SET button.
Using the Flash Output option you can manually vary the output of the flash
to get exactly the amount of light on the subject that's desired.
The G5 can record motion video sequences up to three minutes in length with sound
in either 320x240 or 160x120 resolution.
Recording options available in other than AUTO mode:
- Flash Sync - 1st curtain (as shutter first opens), 2nd curtain (just before
shutter closes, good for long shutter speed exposures with moving objects)
- Slow Synchro: Enable/disable flash slow sync mode
- Red-Eye - Enable/disable red-eye reduction flash mode
- Continuous Shooting - Normal or High Speed (faster but smaller buffer depth)
- Self-Timer - Delay time; 2 or 10 seconds
- Wireless Delay - Shutter release delay when using remote control; 0, 2 or 10 secs.
- Spot AE Point - Spot metering; Center or follows AF point
- ND Filter - Enable/disable neutral density filter that cuts the amount of light
reaching the sensor by 3 f-stops
- MF Point Zoom - Enable/disable the 2X magnified center view when manually
- AF Mode - Single (half-press shutter) or Continuous auto focus mode
- AF Assist Beam - Enable/disable focus assist illuminator
- Digital Zoom - Enable/disable digital zoom feature
- Review - Review picture just taken on LCD for 2 to 10 seconds or disable
- Intervalometer - Enable time-lapse recording mode, 1-60 mins.
- Save Settings - Save current settings in C1 or C2 custom memory locations
for recall on the Mode Dial
SETUP Menu options:
- Beep - Enable/disable camera's "beep" sounds
- LCD Brightness - Adjust brightness of the color LCD
- Auto Power Down - Eable/disable automatic power-off feature
- Date / Time - Sets the clock and/or calendar
- Format - Formats the CF card, also handy for checking the amount of
- Shutter Volume - Adjust volume of the shutter sound effect
- Playback Volume - Adjust playback volume for movie clips
- Start-up Volume - Adjust the volume of the start-up sounds
- Operation Volume - Adjust volume of other camera sounds
- Self-Timer Volume - Adjust volume of the self-timer beeper
- File Number Reset - Manually resets file numbering with new card,
the default is sequential numbering to prevent duplicate filenames.
- Distance Units - Manual focus distance in meters or feet
- Language - Change the menu language
- Video System - Format of video signal, NTSC or PAL.
- Communication - USB protocol; PTP or Normal
The My Camera menu options:
- Theme - Select theme for My Camera settings
- Start-Up Screen - Selects image shown at start-up
- Start-Up Sound - Select sound played at start-up
- Operation Sound - Select desired camera sounds
- Self-Timer Sound - Select desired Self-Timer beep sound.
- Shutter Sound - Select desired shutter sound effect