Review posted 12/03/2012
- Smart Auto shooting mode is accurate and easy in all situations
- Dedicated Video Capture Button is always ready to record
- DIGIC 5 processor provides outstanding performance
- Excellent overall image quality
- Intelligent IS is ready for any situation
- 922,000 dot, 3.0-inch LCD
- Excellent Battery Life
- Competitively priced for its class
- HDMI Output
- Hot Shoe
- Flash must be manually raised to operate in all shooting modes, including Smart Auto
- ISO 12,800 sounds great but is unacceptable
- Optical viewfinder is way off from actual image captured
- Movie audio features a lot of background noise
- No audio input
|Canon's PowerShot G15 is a high quality compact digicam sporting the best features, blazing performance and outstanding image quality. At just under $500, its not for everyone, but if you are looking for the best quality in a compact digicam, this is a candidate. Read more in our Full Conclusion. |
Updating the Canon PowerShot G12
released approximately two years ago, the Canon PowerShot G15 is a significant step up from its predecessor with an updated processor, new lens, higher quality LCD screen, lighter weight and expanded high definition video recording capabilities. Regarding similarities, the optical zoom remains somewhat similar at 5x (28-140 mm f/1.8-2.8). Just like the G12, the PowerShot G15 also shoots in RAW as well as 720p video.
Canon has changed the processor from the DIGIC 4 system to the DIGIC 5 image processor and
upgraded the CMOS image sensor from 10.1 megapixels to 12.1 megapixels. While G12 users will lose the variable-angle LCD screen, the size has been upgraded from 2.8 inched to 3.0 inches and the screen quality has significantly improved from 461k pixels to 922k pixels. In addition, the ISO range has expanded from 80-3200 to 80-12800.
Regarding high definition video recording, the Canon G15 can record in 1080p resolution at a speed of 24 frames per second. Also different from the G12, the G15 utilizes Canon's Intelligent IS system and the Smart Auto function has been upgraded from 28 scenes to 58 scenes. Finally, Canon now supports SDXC memory cards in the G15 and the model is more compact than the G12, both in size and weight.
Canon PowerShot G15 Feature Set:
- Canon's DIGIC 5 image processor and HS (High Sensitivity) System
- Canon's 1/1.7-inch 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor
- 5x optical zoom covers 28-140 mm f/1.8-2.8 zoom
- 3.0-inch color LCD with 922k pixels
- RAW image capture (RAW+JPEG also available)
- Low-light focus assist illuminator
- Intelligent IS, Smart Auto
- Movie mode w/stereo sound at resolutions of 1080p & 720p
- Light-guide zoom flash, angle changes with focal length
- Hot shoe accommodates Canon Speedlites
- Selectable ISO settings from 80 to 12800
- Built-in stereo microphones and speaker
- Uses Canon's NB-10L Li-ion battery pack
- SD/SDHC/SDXC compatibility
- HDMI ouput to HDTV sets
- Dimensions: 4.20 x 2.99 x 1.58 in.
- Weight: 12.4 oz.
The Canon PowerShot G15 is only available in black and sports a MSRP of $499.99 USD. See our lowest price button at the top right of this page to see the most current online pricing.
What's in the box?:
- PowerShot G15 Digital Camera body
- Battery Pack NB-10L
- Battery Charger CB-2LC
- Neck Strap NS-DC11
- Digital Camera Solution CD
Additional Product Views:
You can check out the price of this camera on Adorama by clicking here.