Canon PowerShot G11 Review
Canon's latest "flagship" PowerShot model, the G11 continues the traditions laid forth by its predecessors by offering top of the line features, along with extensive exposure control and access to various EOS accessories. At the same time, the G11 is still a user-friendly model with plenty of automatic exposure options for the less experienced user, including their new Intelligent Auto mode. This model replaces the G10 from last year.
New additions to this the G11 include:
"High Sensitivity" image sensor offers the same surface area as the 14.7-megapixel imager used on the G10, with larger photo sites for better low-light capabilities.
- 2.8-inch vari-angle LCD can be tilted/rotated up to 270 degrees, and offers an anti-reflective coating, 100% frame coverage, manual brightness adjustment, and high-resolution (461,000 pixels).
- HDMI output allowing you to connect the G11 to your HDTV set for sharing photos and videos with family and friends.
- Intelligent Auto exposure mode chooses the best exposure settings (aperture and shutter speed) for you photos, while also selecting the best suited Scene settings (from 22 pre-sets) by analyzing the subject(s) being framed.
- Increased versatility when shooting in marginal lighting, thanks to the new high sensitivity image sensor, available ISO settings from 80-3200, and an additional Low Light mode that can shoot as high as ISO 12,800 @ 2.5-megapixels.
Powershot G11 Features:
- 10-megapixel CCD imager for up to 3648x2736 pixel images
- Canon's DIGIC 4 image processor
- 5x optical zoom covers 28-140mm f/2.8-4.5 zoom
- Lens-Shift type optical image stabilization system
- 2.8-inch vari-anlge (rotates 270 degrees) color LCD with 461k pixels and 100% frame coverage
- Advanced TTL AiAF 9-point autofocus system
- RAW image capture (RAW+JPEG also available)
- Low-light focus assist illuminator
- Intelligent Auto, Program AE, Shutter-speed priority, Aperture priority, Manual, and Custom exposure modes
- 19 Pre-programmed creative scene modes for specific shooting situations
- Movie mode w/sound at resolutions of 640x480 or 320x240 (30fps), length limited to memory capacity (4GB clip size max.)
- 1.1fps Continuous burst capture of Large/Fine images
- Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB and Face Detect Self-timer mode
- Evaluative, Center-weighted or Spot metering options (fixed to the center or linked to the AF frame)
- Stitch Assist mode for perfect panoramas
- Exposure compensation: +/-2EV in 1/3-step increments
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets and two Custom settings
- Orientation sensor that automatically detects vertical or horizontal shooting
- Light-guide zoom flash, angle changes with focal length
- Hot shoe accommodates Canon Speedlites
- Flash output compensation: +/-2EV in 1/3-step increments
- Shutter speeds of 15 seconds to 1/4000 second
- Selectable ISO settings from 80 to 3200
- Low Light mode boasts ISO speeds from ISO 3200 - 12,800 (all photos captured in this mode are only 2.5-megapixels)
- Built-in microphone and speaker
- Uses Canon's powerful NB-7L 7.4v 1050 mAh Li-ion battery pack
- Direct print and PictBridge Compatible
- USB 2.0 high-speed connectivity for PC and Mac
- SDHC/SD/MMC/MMC Plus compatibility
- HDMI ouput to HDTV sets
- Optional Lens Adapter LA-DC58K and Tele Converter TC-DC58D
- Optional Canon EX-series Speedlites
- Optional Waterproof Housing WP-DC34
The Canon PowerShot G11 is available now for estimated selling price of US$449.99.
The G11 camera kit includes:
- Lithium Battery Pack NB-7L
- Battery Charger CB-2LZ
- Neck Strap NS-DC9
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- AV Cable AVC-DC400
- Camera User's Manual
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
|Buy related cameras and accessories from Amazon.com|
|Related Product Description||Price|
|Vivitar SK301 Starter Kit for Digital Cameras||$59.00|
|Street Fighter IV||$30.00|
|Cengage Youll learn how, when, and, most importantly, whyto use all the cool features and functions of yourcamera to take eye-popping photographs.||$29.99|
|Delkin Pop-up Shade Fits 1.8LCD Block Glare & Protect LCD Stick||$23.99|
|Delkin Pop-up Shade Fits 1.6LCD Block Glare & Protect LCD Stick||$23.99|