PowerShot ELPH 520 HS
PowerShot ELPH 520 HS
Record Screens & Menus
Like most of Canon's PowerShot models, the 520 HS boasts their Smart Auto mode. Here the camera chooses the all settings for you, along with applying one of 58 predefined scene presets; that's right, 58 different scene settings. Smart Auto is designed to help you capture the best photos possible, with little to no fuss; just frame and shoot.
Half-pressing the shutter release will initiate the Auto Exposure and Focus systems. Smart Auto also selects one of the 58 scene settings; if it finds one applies to the current subject being framed. Here we can see the camera kept the mode in Auto, as no scene was detected. The lighting bolt icon indicates that the flash is charged and ready to fire, and along the bottom you can see the exposure settings the camera has chosen for this specific shot.
You have very few options when in Smart Auto. Here we can see the function menu, which gives you access to the Self-Timer, Drive mode (Auto Drive or Single), Aspect Ratio, Image size, and Video mode.
Moving the mode switch to the Camera icon gives you access to Program mode. While still offering automatic exposure, you now have access to all of the available camera settings; like ISO, White balance, Metering, Exposure compensation, etc.
Pressing the FUNC./Set button brings up the function shortcut menu. Here you can quickly change the following settings:
- Light Metering - Evaluative, Center-weighted, Spot
- My Colors - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B&W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tones, Darker Skin Tones, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom
- White balance - Auto WB, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Manual WB
- ISO - Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Exposure mode - Program, Movie Digest, Portrait, Smooth Skin, Smart Shutter*2, High-Speed Burst, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Stitch Assist, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
- Self-timer - Off, 10 seconds, 2 seconds, Custom
- Drive mode - Single, Continuous, Continuous Shooting AF
- Aspect Ratio - 16:9, 3:2, 4:3 (default), 1:1
- Image Size - L (10M - 3648x2736), M1 (6M - 2816x2112), M2 (2M - 1600x1200), S (0.3M - 640x480), Widescreen (4608x2592)
- Image Quality (compression) - Fine (default), SuperFine
- Video mode - 1920x1080, 1280x720 or 640x480
Camera menu options in Program mode:
- AF Frame - Center, Face Detect, Tracking AF
- AF Frame size - Normal or Small
- Digital Zoom - Standard, Off, 1.4x, or 2.3x
- AF-Point Zoom - On or Off
- Servo AF - On or Off
- Continuous AF - On or Off
- AF-assist Beam - On or Off
- Flash settings - Red-eye Correction (On or Off), Red-eye Lamp (On or Off)
- i-Contrast - Off or Auto
- Wind Filter - On or Off
- Review - Off, 2-10 seconds, or Hold
- Review Info - Off or Detailed
- Blink Detection -On or Off
- Grid Lines - On or Off
- IS Settings - Set IS Mode (Continuous, Shoot Only, Off) and Powered IS (On or Off)
- Date Stamp - Off, Date, or Date + Time
- Face ID Settings - Face ID (On or Off), Add to Registry, Check/Edit Info, Erase Info
Recording vide couldn't be easier thanks to the dedicated movie shutter release. No matter what exposure mode you are in, you can start recording full 1080p HD (1920x1080, 24fps) video. There are also options for 720p HD (1280x720, 30fps) and SD (640x480, 30fps) video. Stereo sound is recorded thanks to left and right microphones mounted on the front around the lens bezel.
There is also some cool Movie Scene modes to choose from; iFrame Movie and Super Slow motion movie. iFrame records 720p video in an Apple complaint format that makes editing videos on Apples devices easier. Super Slow Motion records at either 240fps (320x240) or 120fps (640x480), then plays back at 30fps for a true slow motion look and feel.
The 12x optical zoom is fully functional in the standard recording modes. The AF system does it's best to keep up, just be prepared for some blurriness as you zoom in. Videos are saved using the QuickTime .MOV (H.264) compression format.
Setup menu options in Program mode:
- Mute - On or Off
- Volume - Adjust the volume of camera sounds
- Sound Option - Choose camera sounds
- Hints & Tips - On or Off
- LCD Brightness - Adjust the LCD's default brightness; 5 levels
- Start-up Image - On or Off
- Format - Format the memory card; deletes All files
- File Numbering - Continuous (recommended) or Auto Reset
- Create Folder -Monthly or Daily
- Lens Retract - ) sec. or 1 min.
- Power Saving - Toggle the Power Saving features: Auto Power Down, Display off.
- Time Zone - Choose your Home and Destination Time Zone (when traveling)
- Date/Time - Set the Date and Time of the internal clock/calendar
- Video System - NTSC or PAL
- Ctrl via HDMI - Enable or Disable; requires compatible HDTV and optional HDMI cable
- Language - Choose the menu language
- Reset All - Restore all settings to their factory defaults
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.