Powershot A4000 IS
Powershot A4000 IS
Record Screens & Menus
Above you can see the A4000 IS in Smart Auto mode. Here the camera chooses the all settings for you, along with applying one of 32 predefined scene presets. This mode is designed to help you capture the best photos possible, in a variety of shooting situations.
When you half-press the shutter release the Auto Exposure and Focus system kick in to lock exposure and focus. Smart Auto also selects one of the 32 scene settings; if it finds one applies to the current subject being framed. Here we can see the Face Detection AF has locked onto a face in the frame, and the icon at the top right indicates that Smart Auto has chosen portrait scene settings. The lighting bolt icon indicates that the flash is charged and ready to fire, and along the bottom you can see the exposure settings the camera has chosen for this specific shot.
You have very few options when in Smart Auto. Here we can see the function menu, which gives you access to the Self-Timer, Image size, and video mode.
Here we can see Program mode. While also automatic, Program gives you access to all of the available camera settings; like ISO, White balance, Metering, Exposure compensation, etc.
When you you half-press the shutter release half-way, the camera will lock exposure and focus. Here we have the camera set to Center AF, Evaluative metering, and ISO 100. The camera chose a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second and an aperture of f/4.0.
Pressing the FUNC./Set button brings up the function shortcut menu. Here you can quickly change the following settings:
- Exposure mode - Program, Live View, Portrait, Face Self-timer, Low Light, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Discreet, iFrame Moive
- Exposure compensation - +/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps
- ISO - Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
- White balance - Auto WB, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Manual WB
- Drive mode - Single or Continuous
- Self-timer - Off, 10 seconds, 2 seconds, Custom
- Image quality - L (16M - 4608x3456), M1 (8M - 3264x2448), M2 (2M - 1600x1200), S (0.3M - 640x480), Widescreen (4608x2592)
- Video mode - 1280x720 or 640x480
Camera menu options in Program mode:
- AF Frame - Cetner, Face AiAF, Tracking AF
- Digital Zoom - On or Off
- AF-Point Zoom - On or Off
- Servo AF - On or Off
- Lamp Setting - On or Off
- Red-eye Correction - On or Off
- i-Contrast - Off or Auto
- Light Metering - Evaluative, Center Weighted, Spot
- Review - Off, 2-10 seconds, or Hold
- Review Info - Off or Detailed
- Blink Detection -On or Off
- Grid Lines - On or Off
- IS Settings - Set IS Mode (Continuous, Shoot Only, Off) and Powered IS (On or Off)
- Date Stamp - Off, Date, or Date + Time
At any time you can start recording 720p HD video with sound, thanks to the dedicated movie mode shutter release. You have resolution options for 1280x720 (25fps) and 640x480 (30fps). There is also a Scene mode name iFrame Movie, which records video in an Apple complaint format that makes editing videos on Apples devices easier. The optical zoom can not be used while recording; however you can preset the desired focal length before recording starts. You do have use of the 4x Digital zoom, just be warned that video quality suffers as you use this feature. Videos are saved using the QuickTime .MOV (H.264) compression format.
Setup menu options in Program mode:
- Mute - On or Off
- Volume - Adjust the volume of camera sounds
- Hints & Tips - On or Off
- LCD Brightness - Adjust the LCD's default brightness; 5 levels
- Start-up Image - On or Off
- Format - Format the memory card; deletes All files
- File Numbering - Continuous (recommended) or Auto Reset
- Create Folder -Monthly or Daily
- Lens Retract - ) sec. or 1 min.
- Power Saving - Toggle the Power Saving features: Auto Power Down, Display off.
- Date/Time - Set the Date and Time of the internal clock/calendar
- Video System - NTSC or PAL
- Language - Choose the menu language
- Reset All - Restore all settings to their factory defaults
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.