Click to take a QTVR tour of the Powershot A300
The PowerShot A300 is an entry-level, 3.2 megapixel camera with an all-glass 33mm equivalent fixed focal length Canon lens and 5.1x digital zoom. This compact and affordable camera incorporates advanced features such as a 5-point AiAF focus system, an enhanced Movie Mode that captures up to 3-minutes of video with sound, direct connect printing with the Canon CP-100 and Canon BJ Photo Direct printers, user selectable ISO speeds and light metering options.
The shutter speed range of the A300 is among the widest in its class with a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 second. Combining this speed with the lens's f/5.6 minimum aperture setting makes the A300 ideal for daylight photography and fast-moving objects. Alternatively, when the one-second slow shutter speed is combined with the camera's maximum aperture and optional ISO 400 setting, photos taken in low light conditions can be captured easily.
The A300 also incorporates a number of high-end features including the popular Photo Effects mode originally introduced in the highly advanced PowerShot G2 camera. A low sharpening mode has been added to the Vivid, Neutral, Sepia and Black-and-White modes for a total of five separate effects for greater creativity.
The A300 is powered by two AA-size batteries and is compatible with CompactFlash Type I removable media. Like all other 2003 PowerShot camerass, it completely supports driverless downloads via PTP with Windows XP and Mac OS X, as well as EXIF 2.2, and DPOF 1.1.
Powershot A300 Features
- 3.2-Megapixel CCD for images up to 2048 x 1536 pixels.
- 33mm (equivalent) F3.6 optical lens, 5.1x digital zoom
- 1.5-inch TFT color LCD, approx. 67,000 pixels
- 5-point AiAF system with single-point center focus and focus lock
- Low-light focus assist illuminator
- Exposure modes: Auto/ manual/ stitch assist/ movie
- Motion video w/audio, 640x480 up to 30 secs, 320x240 up to 3 mins
- White balance options: Auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H
- Shutter speeds from 1 second to 1/2000 second
- Evaluative metering linked to the focus point
- ISO settings: 50, 100, 200, 400 and Auto (50-150)
- Photo Effects: Vivid, Neutral, Low Sharpening, Sepia, B&W
- Built-in flash with Auto, Red-eye reduction auto, Forced on, Red-eye on, forced off and slow-synchro
- 2x-10x enlarged playback function with scrolling
- Direct Print to CP-100 and BJ Photo Direct printers
- CompactFlash Type I removable storage
- USB driverless downloads
- Powered by two AA type batteries
- Small (4.3 x 2.3 x 1.4 in.) and lightweight (6.2 oz)
The PowerShot A300 is available now, at a price of about $199.
The Powershot A300 and a standard CD for size comparison.