Canon EOS M6 Preview
Aimed more towards advanced enthusiasts, the M6 shares many of its specifications with two recently announced siblings, the EOS Rebel T7i and EOS 77D. This includes the same 24.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor, Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, and their latest DIGIC 7 processor.
The M6, while compact, offers a much larger profile when compared to most ILCs. Canon added a nice, enlarged handgrip, along with five customizable dials on the camera body; making it ideal for those looking to get serious with their photography. Add in a tilting, touchscreen LCD, and you've got one heck of a package that Canon claims can produce "sharp, high-resolution images even in low-light situations".
Speed was important as well when Canon designed the M6, and thanks to the DIGIC 7 processor, the M6 can rip off full resolution stills at up to 7fps with AF, or up to 9fps with AF lock enabled. The Dual Pixel CMOS AF system promises to produce fast and accurate autofocus when shooting still images, as well as when recording full 1080/60p HD video.
What would a camera be in 2017 without built-in Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth technologies? Well, the M6 includes all three, allowing you to connect to various devices, including Android and iOS smartphones and tablets, thanks to the free Canon Camera Connect App.
While the M6 looks very appealing for those looking to step-up up from a bridge camera or entry-level ILC/DSLR, we were sad to see that they're still not offering a 4K UHD video option with their latest gear. Stay tuned for our hands on review.
Canon EOS M6 Features:
- 24.2-megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor
- Uses their Mirroless M-mount lens system, compatible with EF1, EF-S1 and EF-M Lenses
- Five-axis "Combination IS" Image Stabilization System
- DIGIC 7 Image Processor
- Native Sensitivity range from ISO 100 - 25600
- Fast & Accurate Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Phase-detection
- 3.0-inch, Tilting, Touch Screen LCD
- Burst shooting at up to 7fps with AF, up to 9fps with AF Lock
- Full HD 1080/60p video recording
- Advanced control & customization thanks to five function dials
- Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC3, and Bluetooth technologies
- Compatible with new EVF-DC2 (optional) Electronic Viewfinder - shown in the photo above
The EOS M6 should start shipping in April (2017), and will be offered in silver or black, in three kit configurations:
- Body only for $779.99 US
- Body + EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens for $899.99 US
- Body + EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens for $1,279.99 US
Pricing and availability on the optional EVF-DC2 is to be announced at a later date.
Additional Product Views
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.