The controls on the back of the camera are almost identical to those found on the XSi. At the upper left is The MENU button which calls up
many of the camera and setup menu selections and the DISP. button that brings up the shooting information display (shown below). All the way on the upper right, are the AE Lock/FE lock/Index/Reduce and the AF point select/Magnify buttons.
Moving to the right of the LCD you can see the AV/+- or Aperture/Exposure Compensation button. Directly below that
is the WB - White Balance selection button, which also acts as the Print/Share function when connected to your PC or Pictbridge compatible printer.
Next we have the large, 4-way controller that lets you
navigate menus, select the active AF point or select images during playback. Pressing the 4-way controller "Up" changes the Metering mode, "Right" toggles the AF mode, "Down" adjusts the Picture Style mode, and "Left" changes the Drive mode (Burst, Self-timer, etc.)
At the bottom is the Playback and Delete buttons. You can also see the small LED "Access lamp" to the right of the Delete button.
Here you can see the Shooting Settings Display. It turns the LCD into a data display much like the old Monochrome LCDs found on older EOS models. This useful tool is turned off by pressing the Display button or when you press the shutter release.
If offers a wealth of exposure information, including: Shutter Speed, Aperture, Exposure compensation, ISO, Shooting mode, Flash Exposure comp., White balance mode/WB correction/WB bracketing, Drive mode, Picture Style mode, Metering mode, AF mode, Battery level, Image quality mode, and Shots remaining/Self-timer countdown/Shots remaining during WB bracketing/Bulb exposure time.
Live view mode allows you to use the XS like a consumer point-n-shoot. Here you can see we have the Quick AF mode enabled via the Custom Function menu, and there are icons for Flash (charged and ready to fire), shutter speed (60), Aperture (4.0), Number of images remaining (962), ISO (100), and the exposure compensation.
To access the XS's main menu system just press the MENU button. You use the
4-way controller to navigate the menus.
When you select the camera icon from the menu and move the 4-way controller down you can access the Shooting menu items:
- Quality:Large Fine or Normal (10-megapixel ), Medium Fine or Normal (5.3-megapixel), Small Fine or Normal (2.5-megapixel), RAW+L or RAW (10-megapixel)
- Red-eye - Enable/disable redeye reduction flash mode
- Beep - Enable/disable "button beep" sounds
- Shoot w/o card - Allows or denies shutter release when no memory card is installed
- Review time - Sets review timeout on LCD - 2 sec., 4 sec., 8 sec., Hold
- AEB - Enables AE Bracketing and sets the step increment (-2 to +2EV in 0.3EV steps)
- Flash exp comp - Enables flash exposure compensation (-2 to +2EV in 0.3EV steps)
- Custom WB - Set the custom white balance value using a stored image
- WB SHIFT/BKT - Set white balance correction or the step increment for white balance bracketing
- Color space - sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Picture Style - Selects image effects; see next menu description.
- Dust Delete Data - Takes an exposure (of a white object) to identify dust spots
on the image sensor. The dust data are appended to subsequent images for post-processing
removal by Canon's software.
Picture Style Menu
The Picture Style menu has two looks. The first is what you see when you select the Picture Style option in the Record Menu, and the second is the graphical display when you press "Down" on the 4-way controller. They Both have the same options, listed below:
- Standard: For vivid, sharp and crisp images
- Portrait: For nice skin tones, slightly sharp and crisp
- Landscape: For vivid blues and greens, very sharp and crisp images
- Neutral: For natural colors and subdued images; no sharpening applied
- Faithful: For colormetric adjustment of colors of subjects shot
under a color temperature of 5200K; no sharpening applied
- Monochrome: For Black and White images
- User Def. 1-3: For user-defined Picture Styles
- Detail set.: For changing parameters of the pre-defined
and user-defined Picture Styles
The numeric parameters (or N) shown for each style are from left to right Sharpness, Contrast,
Saturation and Color Tone.
Metering, ISO, Autofocus, Drive and White Balance Menu's
The Digital Rebel XS's settings for ISO, Metering mode, AF mode, Drive mode and White balance are directly accessible by pressing
the dedicated buttons (some are on the 4-way controller) on the camera body.
The metering system can be set for Evaluative, Partial or Center-weighted average.
ISO can be set to AUTO or in a range from 100 to 1600.
You can choose Single or Continuous (up to 3fps in JPEG mode) image capture as well as set the self-timer for 10/2 seconds or Custom.
Auto focus mode options are One-Shot AF, AI Focus AF or AI Servo AF
White balance selections include Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash and Custom.
The Custom white balance is set in the Record menu.
- C. Fn I: Exposure - Exposure level increments: 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop
- C. Fn I: Exposure - Flash sync. speed in Av mode: Auto or 1/200sec. (fixed)
- C. Fn II: Image - Long exp. noise reduction: : Off, Auto or On
- C. Fn II: Image - High ISO speed noise reduct'n:: Off or On
- C. Fn II: Image - Auto Lighting Optimizer: Enable or Disable
- C. Fn III: Auto focus/Drive - AF-assist beam firing<: Enable, Disable or Only external flash emits
- C. Fn III: Auto focus/Drive - AF during Live View shooting: Disable, Quick mode or Live mode
- C. Fn III: Auto focus/Drive - Mirror lockup: Disable or Enable
- C. Fn IV: Operation/Others - Shutter/AE lock button: AF/AE lock, AE lock/AF, AF/AF lock, no AE lock or AE/AF, no AE lock
- C. Fn IV: Operation/Others - SET button when shooting: LCD Monitor On/Off, Change quality, Flash exposure comp., Menu display or Disabled
- C. Fn IV: Operation/Others - LCD display when power ON: Display or Retain power OFF status
- C. Fn IV: Operation/Others - Add original decision data: Off or On
- Auto power off - 30 secs., 1, 2, 4, 8, 15 minutes or Off
- File numbering - Continuous, Auto reset, or Manual reset
- Auto rotate - Enable auto rotation of portrait mode images in camera, on computer or both
- Format - Format the CF card
- LCD off/on btn - Set which button will turn off the LCD: Shutter, Shutter/DISP, Remains On
- Screen color - Choose from 4 color menu choices
- LCD brightness - LCD back light intensity, 7 levels
- Date / Time - Set date and time
- Language - Sets the menu language
- Video system - NTSC or PAL video output
- Sensor cleaning - Choose when the Sensor is cleaned: Auto, Clean Now, Clean Manually
- Live View function settings - Live View shoot.: Disable or Enable, Grid display: Off or On, Metering time: 4 sec. to 30 min.
- Flash control - Flash firing, Built-in flash func. setting, External flash func. setting, External flash C. Fn setting, Clear ext. flash C. Fn set.
- Custom Functions (C. Fn) - See menu above
- Clear settings - Clear all camera or Custom Function settings
- Firmware Ver. - Display camera firmware rev#, can be user-updated
- Register - For faster access, you can register up to 6 menus and Custom Function setting you change frequently
- Sort - Change the order of your registered menus
- Delete - Chose to delete a registered menu
- Delete all item - Delete all registered menu items
- Display from My Menu - Enable or Disable the My Menu tab to be shown first when you press the MENU button
Please help support our site and visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability.
In The United States? Check out these stores:
In Europe? Check out these stores: