Canon EOS 80D DSLR Review
|The Canon EOS 80D is a fantastic mid-level DSLR that also makes a case for a good hybrid camera as well. Excellent performance, quality, and AF capabilities make this a camera that is capable in all situations. It is a fantastic upgrade for anyone that already has an EOS camera, or those looking for a serious tool for their photography or videography needs. Read more in our Full Conclusion.|
First off, Canon has updated the image sensor on the 80D with an all new 24.2-megapixel, APS-C CMOS image sensor. This offers an additional 4-megapixels of resolution over its predecessor, and they've mated it to their proven DIGIC 6 processor. The inclusion of the DIGIC 6 not only improves the camera's operation speed, but it also allows for an expanded ISO range, lower noise levels, and improved image quality. This new sensor uses Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, meaning all of the effective pixels can perform imaging and phase-detection AF functions, simultaneously. Meaning, you get improved AF performance in both Still (Live View) and Video modes.
Next, they improved the 19-point AF system originally found on the 70D with an all new 45-point system on the new 80D. This new system uses all cross-type AF points, offering a wider coverage of the frame. AF tracking has also been improved thanks to the AI Servo AF II system utilizing the 80D's new 7,560 pixel RGB+IR metering sensor. This allows the camera to track more effectively by tracking your subject's color, and even skin tone.
Like the 70D, the 80D offers built-in Wi-Fi with NFC technology, a 3.0-inch touch screen Vari-angle LCD, an Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% frame coverage, and burst shooting at up to 7fps.
Canon EOS 80D Features:
- Newly developed 24.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology
- DIGIC 6 processor
- Canon EF/EF-S lens mount
- Newly developed 45-point AF system (all cross-type AF points)
- New 7,560 pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
- Improved AI Servo AF II tracking system
- Intelligent optical viewfinder with 100% frame coverage
- 3.0-inch Vari-angle touch screen LCD
- Broad ISO range from 100 - 16,000 (expandable to 25,600)
- 7fps burst shooting at full resolution
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC tech
- Free Android and iOS smart phone app for remote shutter control, easy uploads, etc.
- Li-ion battery pack
The Canon EOS 80D is available in the following configurations:
- EOS 8D body only: $1199
- EOS 80D + new EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens: $1799
What's in the box?:
- EOS 80D Body
- Battery Pack LP-E6N
- Battery Charger LC-E6
- Eyecup Eb
- Wide Strap
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.